Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Intentional Mondays


Quote: "The real problem of the Christian life comes where people do not usually look for it. It comes the very moment you wake up each morning. All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists simply in shoving them all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in. And so on, all day. Standing back from all your natural fussings and frettings; coming in and out of the wind." CS Lewis  (found via Elizabeth Foss' blog post 6/10/14)

My One Word... AFFIRM. This verse: Psalm 119:116, "Sustain me according to your promise, and I will live; let not my hopes be dashed."

Listening To: David Gray's 3 cd deluxe set came in the mail this week. And he signed it. It's been on repeat play since.



Sharing Stories... Jen Weiner's new book is very, very good. It's about motherhood and marriage and addiction to prescription drugs. I read it very fast, just like all her other books.

Randomness... See "In The Kitchen" for a combined randomness/kitchen entry.

In The Kitchen... Have you ever had a neighbor randomly give you squash? This has happened to me more than you might think, and I always feel bad because pretty much my entire family detests squash. So it goes bad and then I feel like a terrible steward, not to mention an ungrateful neighbor, for throwing out this gift. But the other day I got an idea for Squash Pasta. I created the recipe while I was running, then I came home and made it.

And it was very, very good. Even the non-squash-eaters ate it.

So if you get squash randomly given to you by well-intentioned neighbors, here's what you can do:

Squash Pasta

4 squash
box of whole grain rotini or penne
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup diced onion
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 can petite diced tomatoes

Cook and drain pasta.
Heat olive oil in pan. Add garlic, onion and squash and cook for five minutes, or until cooked through. Add Italian seasoning and can of tomatoes and stir until heated through and well mixed. Remove from stove and add pasta, toss to combine ingredients. Serve warm.

The next time I receive random squash, I will be prepared.

Plans... This week is my little book tour so I'm gone to the NC coast. Looking forward to meeting old and new readers, taking at least one nice long walk on the beach, and seeing friends. I will try to remember to take lots of pictures and share about it here soon.

Loveliness... Our modest little swim club boasts one of my favorite views-- the pool looks out over our little neighborhood lake and I think it's just lovely. The other night at our last home swim meet, my daughter captured this sunset moment (photo below). She is, to quote her, "obsessed with sunsets." That's a pretty good thing to be obsessed with, I say.

Photo of the week:

 
Pin It!

No comments: