Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday


My Top Ten Favorite Books Of The Bible:

1. Psalms: my go-to book if I need encouragement

2. Isaiah: the promises and power of God are packed in this book

3. John: this is my favorite gospel, mostly because I spent a year studying it

4. Genesis: I love the stories of the creation, Abraham, Joseph, etc.

5. Joshua: From Jericho to the Promised Land, I love the victories this book portrays and the courage it inspires.

6. Proverbs: Wisdom. I need it. This book's packed with it.

7. Luke: This is my favorite book for the Christmas story.

8. I Samuel: I love the early days of King David's life. What an adventure!

9. Galatians: I learned the order of the books Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians using the acronym General Electric Power Company. I love all of these epistles but if I had to pick one favorite, I would pick Galatians.

10. Acts: I spent a year studying this book and it was rich. I was challenged by the faith and trust in the early church and challenged to live a life that laid claim to that kind of faith and trust.

How about you? What's your favorite?
Pin It!

5 comments:

Amy O/picketfencemom said...

Great list! In addition to my regular Bible reading, I try to read the chapter in Proverbs that corresponds to the date...so I go through Proverbs 12 times each year. Or at least that's Plan A.
Also, when I was a little girl, I learned the order of Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians with the acronym: Go Eat Peaches and Cream! And I still catch myself saying it EVERY single time I'm going to one of those books. LOL
Two more of my favorites are 1 Timothy and Titus.
Have a great day!
Blessings,
Amy O./picketfencemom

Caroline said...

I enjoy all those you listed today. I agree with Amy O, too; 1 Timothy and Titus are fantastic and not as often referenced.

I love all the gospels, but particularly like Luke and John, as well, for the language and point of view.

Three others that are some of my favorites are 1 Peter and James for their great take-away verses and Hebrews for its discussions on faith. (There are more reasons to love these books, of course, but those are just some quick examples of why I am blessed by them.)

Hmm... it does seem that we all have lots of favorites...

I'm enjoying this new posting schedule on your blog, Marybeth. Thank you for all your work!

In Christ,
Caroline

Shelly said...

Esther! Her story reminds me that there is a purpose and a plan for my life. Even though I may not understand it and I may not even see it, God is placing me in positions for such a time as He sees fit to use me. I just have to make sure I'm being open-minded enough to listen to the Mordecai figures in my life who speak the Word of God to me and encourage me along the way.

Marybeth Whalen said...

Thanks for these suggestions guys! Great reminders of other great books. I also love Ecclesiastes-- lots of power behind that short little book. And Jeremiah is powerful too. And nothing like Job to put some perspective on things. There's not one I don't think that we can't say something we love about!!

Shelly, Esther was on my list but I had to stop somewhere. I loved what you said about listening to the Mordecai's. Boy do we have to remember to do that!!

Anonymous said...

I love Daniel. Have to admit that the last half of the book (the prophecy part) was intimidating to me, but after completing Beth Moore's study, I'm in love with the whole book. James is a favorite, too.

When my mom was teaching 5th and 6th grade Sunday School a few years ago, she challenged the kids to learn the books of the Bible in order. This was one boy's way to remember Galatians, Ephesians, Phillipians, Colossians: God Eats Pop Corn. Probably not the most reverent and respectful sentence, but I'm sure God was pleased with the boy's efforts.