Welcome to all of you who drop in today after reading the devotion at Proverbs 31 titled "The God Of Learning." We thought that devotion was perfect to run right as school is starting for so many of us. It's one of those that came out of my own life-- and my own struggles. I don't want to put the god of learning on a pedestal this school year. Instead I want to put the God of the Universe in first place in all of our lives. What are ways we can do that? I will share a few ways that I have thought of here, and I hope you will share your ideas as well!
1. Pray for your kids while they're at school and pray with your kids before they leave in the morning. Even if you just place your hands on them and bless their day before they run out the door, they will know they have a mom praying for them! Ask them for prayer requests so that you can pray specifically.
2. Post verses around your house that inspire you and that your family can aspire to together. The fridge and bathroom mirrors are great places to post verses. The verse I am memorizing and praying for our family right now is Psalm 33:22, "May your unfailing love be with us Lord, even as we put our hope in You." (TNIV)
3. Take a few moments each night to read a Bible story or children's devotion aloud to your kids. One of my friends recently shared that-- even though her son goes to school during the day-- she sits down with him every night and does the read aloud and Bible portions of Sonlight curriculum. I was inspired by this thought and am still debating how I could do something like this.
4. Be available to talk to your kids about problems or challenges they're facing, and ask God how you can weave His truth into the conversation. He will give you the words to say that will point your child towards Him. Ask me how I know!
5. Take them to church. Providing a godly atmosphere each week and putting them in a place where they can meet godly friends outside of school is always a good idea. Don't have a church? Find one! And if you live in the Charlotte area, my church is a great one!
And now I would love to hear your ideas cause I know you guys are a lot more creative than I am!