Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day


Today is a history-making day, no matter what your view of politics is! I plan to turn on the inauguration and count it as "school." The guide of what is happening below was helpful to me, so I thought I would post it here.

I plan to go over what will be happening with my kids before we turn it on, along with a brief explanation of what the inauguration is and why this is historical. This dovetails nicely with MLK day and our discussions of Martin Luther King's dream speech-- and how today marks a part of his dream coming true.

Full Schedule for Inaugural Ceremony Announced
The Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies announced today the schedule for the swearing in of President-elect Barack Obama and Vice President-elect Joseph Biden on Jan. 20.
The ceremony traditionally begins around 10 a.m. and lasts for about two hours. Obama must be sworn in by noon.
The schedule is as follows:

Musical Selections: The United States Marine Band

Musical Selections: The San Francisco Boys Chorus and the San Francisco Girls Chorus

Call to Order and Welcoming Remarks: The Honorable Dianne Feinstein

Invocation: Dr. Rick Warren, Saddleback Church, Lake Forest, CA

Musical Selection: Aretha Franklin

Oath of Office Administered to Vice President-elect Joseph R. Biden, Jr.
By Associate Justice of the Supreme Court The Honorable John Paul Stevens

Musical Selection: John Williams, composer/arranger
Itzhak Perlman, Violin
Yo-Yo Ma, Cello
Gabriela Montero, Piano
Anthony McGill, Clarinet

Oath of Office Administered to President-elect Barack H. Obama By the Chief Justice of the United StatesThe Honorable John G. Roberts, Jr.

Inaugural Address The President of the United States, The Honorable Barack H. Obama

Poem: Elizabeth Alexander (Click on this link to read more about her-- I really like the poem they included.)

Benediction: The Reverend Dr. Joseph E. Lowery

The National Anthem: The United States Navy Band "Sea Chanters"


How do you plan to mark today? Don't forget to visit Krispy Kreme for a free donut, if nothing else!

And for all of you who don't live in the US, sorry this doesn't directly pertain to you! I love having readers abroad-- but I forget how "local" I can be in my writing. So forgive all references to grits, warm weather, and frequent use of the word "y'all."
Pin It!

9 comments:

Lori said...

We are watching the inauguration, enjoying a hot dog bar for lunch, and having red, white and blue snowflake cookies. We were going to make stars, but since it is snowing, snowflakes seemed more appropriate. And here's a link about the origins of the word inaugural http://podictionary.com/?p=685.
Very interesting stuff.
Enjoy your day!

Stacey said...

Hi Marybeth, I planned the Inaugural thing to count towards a lesson in History as well! I'm fairly new with the homeschool thing and had forgotten about the musical aspects...thanks!

Sandra in Phx said...

Today would have been a Women's Bible study day at church (the first one of the semester) but I have two sniffly nosed kids...and I was thinking I didn't want to be one of THOSE parents. So we are home today. I will spend most of the day catching up with laundry and then working on lesson plans.

Sandra in Phx said...

With all that said, I might DVR it so the kids can see it tomorrow.

rural momma said...

I did not vote for Obama, and don't agree with his policies that he campaigned about. However, I love living in America, we can have this exchange of power and its all good. No riots in the streets, just a calm ceremony that embraces the whole country.

I read to the kids about the Inauguation History, very interesting. I found a short quiz and we all took it, in fun. Then we watched the festivities online at foxnews.com

Marybeth Whalen said...

Yes, I agree that I didn't vote for the new president, however I do love the country we live in and the way that our political system is set up. I think that cultivating a healthy respect and interest in that is important--

With that being said, our inauguration plans got trumped by an unexpected and most welcomed snow day-- my kids were outside playing in the snow instead of in front of the tv today... oh well!

Unknown said...

We watched it, too, and called it school. No donuts, though. I have no idea where there is one around here.

rural momma said...

Snow Days are always fun!! :0)

Anonymous said...

We watched the events at school; Claire was very moved because she met Rev. Joseph Lowerey last year at a benefit here in Clearwater. She took a picture of her with him to school today to share.