Raising teens is hard-- connecting with them on an individual basis when you have other kids can be even harder. I was thankful for the way things worked out-- even if it wasn't my plan, God had a better one. I felt Him whisper to me as we walked around together: "If you make investments in your children now, you will have given birth to your best friends later." Wow. What a lesson for me to take hold of.
I didn't spend much money at the show, but I did buy a few fun things:
- My biggest splurge was on two semi-expensive handpainted Christmas ornaments from a favorite artist, whose paintings I have collected for years. Usually she has sold out of these ornaments by the time I get there, so it was a special treat for me to find two left, which I promptly scooped up!
- I also bought the Chris Botti cd, December, which I am listening to as I write. Beautiful. (His version of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" is just gorgeous, and his "Ave Maria" will move you to tears.) This cd will be the soundtrack to my Christmas season this year, I am certain.
- I also bought a string of beads that perfectly match the shirt I bought to wear to my parents' annual Christmas party, which takes place at a country club-- ooh la la! A very cool side note on that shirt-- my daughter and I found the exact same shirt at one of the little boutiques at the show. I paid $17 for it at Ross, and this boutique was selling it for $44! I was tickled at my bargain shopping abilities! Truly, not much else makes me as happy as knowing I got a steal of a deal like that.
- Finally, I got a cute little topiary to put out at Christmas for a mere $5.
- And a gift for my niece that I think she will really like.
- Oh, and we just had to buy cinnamon roasted pecans and almonds and two boxes of strudel too. I brought that home to the rest of the family as a surprise dessert last night!
Be sure and keep checking back with me between now and Christmas, as this week I am kicking off a series of daily posts all centered around your family's Christmas celebration, including some exciting giveaways! That starts Monday and will be continued every Monday to Friday from now until Christmas. I hope that we can all share with each other and be inspired as we work towards making memories with our families, while keeping our priorities in place.