Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Things That Make Me Smile


Note: many of these photos were taken before we had all the trim and paneling in the house painted white-- mucho improvement! I am actually glad I have these photos, because it is a nice "before" and "after" for me to see. As some of you may remember, my camera cord got lost in the move, so I am just now able to post these photos I have been saving to share with you all!

So, here are a few of the things that have made me smile as I have been adjusting to life in a new house, making it feel like home:

Turning this

into this
this is "Mom's Command Central"-- a whole closet just for my junk!

New school supplies and books just waiting to be used for a new year--
Don't you love my globe? I do!

A place for everything...
No more shoes thrown haphazardly around when we walk in the door
(This is just inside the back door where we come in-- one of you wrote to me and asked what shoe racks I use. These are about $5 at Target.) When the shoes overrun this little spot, it's a clue to me and the kids that it is time to do a "Shoe Cleanup!"
All my "to be read" books gathered in one place.
This of course does not include the abundance of library books that float in and out of this house.

All my cookbooks on a shelf in the kitchen--
The kitchen is not red anymore--
it's now a beautiful shade of blue that we found in the Pottery Barn catalog
The makings of fun-- found on clearance!

Making my own Cinnamon Dolce Lattes (or a close second) at home
This new "Cinnamon Bun" flavor is a limited edition, so get it while you can.
Incidentally, I saw Pumpkin Spice in the grocery store the other day.
As I oohed and aaahed over it, my son said, "Mom, why don't you just get it?"
"Oh no," I said, "I couldn't. Not yet. It's not time." He gave me that "My mom's so weird look" and shook his head, but surely you guys understand, right? Drinking Pumpkin Spice coffee before Labor Day (really before late September) seems... wrong.
A coffee table that has baskets for all our math and other manipulatives.
The fact that I found it on Craig's List for a bargain price makes it even better!

And finally, a fresh supply of small legal pads to use to make all my "to do" lists. It just makes me feel so ready, so capable, so hopeful!

Pin It!

6 comments:

momsal13 said...

You don't know me from Adam, but I just love you!

You have such a great attitude about EVERYTHING and I love that you are so organized and seem so capable...even with six kiddos...while I always seem to struggle with our one. I know I will get better, and I cannot compare myself to you (or anyone else) because we are each on our own journey.

Thank you for sharing your life with me and being so open and honest about everything. You are an amazing and inspiring woman and I feel blessed to "know" you!

Sara in WI

Laurie Ann said...

What wonderful things to make you smile! I can't wait until it's time for the pumpkin spice creamer, either! It's getting close!

Debra said...

MB,
Cinnamon Bun creamer, havent seen that one before. Will have to look for it.
You are one organized mom! I like your legal pads all organized, I guess that the writer in us huh?

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the fall things. It's too early!! I live in the Pacific northwest so while fall is beautiful, I'm quite remiss to see the sun make it's annual disappearance - lol. I suck every minute out of summer I possibly can.

I get "my mom is so strange looks" all the time from my almost 13 year old son!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, not time for pumpkin anything just yet. Love your globe.

I thought I was the note-taking queen. :) LOL

& I LOVE Craigslist (ooh & freecycle)

Anonymous said...

Great post on organization! Thanks for sharing :)

Blessings,
~Mrs.Cuddles