Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tuesday


It is a yucky, rainy Tuesday-- the kind of day that makes you want to get in bed with a good book and read and doze, read and doze.... unless you have children, of course, when days like that are nonexistent! Instead of a day in bed, I have taken my middle schooler to school in the pouring down rain and taken my three who are at home to the doctor in the pouring down rain too. Question: why did I even bother doing my hair? We came home, made egg salad sandwiches (a treat!) and everyone is now supposed to be resting or doing some sort of quiet activity like reading.

I hope to make some chocolate peanut butter oatmeal drop cookies later today, and the blueberry bread with vanilla sauce that I saw on Kelli's blog. For dinner, I did something that is so easy, but good and filling-- and that's what I was going for. Lay chicken breasts in the crockpot, salt and pepper them, and pour two cans of Campbell's chicken gravy over them. Cook all day, then shred or chunk up the chicken just before serving. Serve over rice with a green veggie (we are having peas). Not a very gourmet meal-- but good enough for my hungry bunch.

My mom just went to visit my brother and his wife and my nephew-- who I have never met and is almost a year old-- this past weekend. My sister in law sent me friendship bread starter, which I haven't done in ages and ages. So, if you don't want any from me, do not make eye contact with me in the next several weeks! Or you are liable to end up with some if I think I can pawn it off on you. I remember the bread being soooo good, but I also remember the starter eventually taking over my life! I make my first batch on Thursday, so I will let you know how it goes--

And now I am off to get some writing done while the house is (relatively) quiet.
Pin It!

6 comments:

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

Marybeth, I am so pleased to meet a fellow writer/blogger through Jewel's Brillant Premio Awards. Jewel nominated my Sharing with Writers, too, and I hope you'll drop by to what's offered to authors there. The address is www.sharingwithwriters.blogspot.com.

My best to you, an award-winner!

Best,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Author of the HowToDoItFrugally series of books for writers
www.howtodoitfrugally.com

Paige said...

I just opened my cabinet to start dinner and my eye glanced at the friendship starter recipe. I thought to myself..self..I wish I has a starter so I could do this, I have not make this in ages..while dinner is on the stove i began to check on my favorite blogs and see that you are starting the bread. Send some my way! I had a terrible headache today with all this rain. Not a bad to day to chill in the bed.

Carol said...

Aww, man! I wish I lived closer. I would love to start some friendship bread. I haven't made any in years!

Anonymous said...

Just a note...I've used friendship starter for years and you can freeze the starter. (Don't feed before freezing.) It can be frozen for up to 3 months in a freezer bag. When you take it out to use it--let it unthaw, then feed it. Wait a few days before baking, to allow the yeast action to get back to normal.

Shanna said...

My favorite rainy day activity...reading-hands down.

By the way, I've given you the Smile Award. You can see all of the information at my blog!!

Sarah said...

Another great recipe that is similar to yours is lay chicken breasts in your crockpot and cover with 1 can of Campbell's cheese soup and 1 can of cream of chicken. I serve it over egg noodles and it is a hit with my family!