Pages

Friday, August 08, 2008

I Will Survive (Homeschool Edition)


Ok, I got this on one of my homeschool online groups and loved it!! So funny-- and so true! I don't know the author personally, but she is credited. If you know her by chance, please tell her it's great!

I am posting this in honor of a friend who is feeling called to homeschool and is completely overwhelmed and apprehensive about the prospect...

I Will Survive (the first year of homeschooling)
Originally written and produced by Freddie Perren and Dino Fekaris
Originally performed by Gloria Gaynor
Mercilessly altered with apologies by Natalie Criss
============ ========= ========= ========
First I was afraid
I was petrified.
Kept thinking I could never teach
'Cause I'm not certified.
But we spent so many nights
Reteaching homework that was wrong.
I grew strong,
so now I teach my kids at home!
We study math
and outer space.
I just kept on despite the fear
with a big smile across my face.
I bought a set of Base Ten blocks.
I bought books with answer keys.
My parents think we're nuts,but they don't even bother me

Come on, let's go walk out the door.
We're on the road now,
'cause we're not home much anymore
My friends would laugh and say we'd be unsocialized.
I heard one mumble
that I'd give up
by July.
Oh no, not I!
I will survive!
As long as I know how to read
I know we'll be alright.
I've got all my life to learn.
I've got energy to burn.
and I'll survive.
I will survive.

It took all the strength I had
not to fall apart.
Decided to attend
a play date at the local park,
and I met oh so many moms
who offered eagerly to help.
They used to cry.
Now they hold their heads up high,
and so do we!
My kids are cool!
They're not those chained up little people
stuck inside at school.
So if you feel like dropping by
and just expect us to be free
you'd better call ahead first
'cause we're probably busy

ETA: I agree with one commenter who said that they could live without the line about chained up kids at school. My older kids go to school! I almost didn't post this song because of that one line, but then decided I wasn't going to let that stop me-- I didn't feel I could take liberties with the line, so I just left it as-is. Please know I am not judging those who have their kids in school-- that would be quite hypocritical of me!!
Pin It!

3 comments:

Celly B said...

I love that song, especially since we have a grand total of nine days of homeschooling under our belts!

Audra Krell said...

That's a fun song, except for the "chained up little people at school" line. I think they could re do it, without the put down to people that do attend traditional school.

Heather - Sanctified Woman said...

That was fun! All taken in good humor!
I think we need a music video on this one! :)