Pages

Monday, July 21, 2008

Menu Plan Monday


This is not always something I participate in because lately I haven't been the best menu planner between moving and traveling and also because I don't always plan my menus on Monday. But this weekend I was determined to get back on top of my home's organization and routine! So, one way I did that was to plan a menu for the week and go to the grocery and buy all I would need to make those meals happen! So, without further adieu, here's what the Whalens will be eating this week:

Monday) Italian Sausage with onions, peppers and tomatoes served over spaghetti (I got this recipe from the "Fix It and Forget It For Entertaining" book. It calls for five pounds of sausage so I anticipate having leftovers. Which means...

Tuesday) leftovers

Wednesday) Whole chicken stuffed with limes, sprigs of basil, garlic, and onion, then rubbed with olive oil and coarse salt, baked sweet potatoes, green beans

Thursday) Chicken drumsticks cooked in the slow cooker, wild rice, corn

Friday) Scalloped potatoes with ham casserole, lima beans

Saturday) Marinated flank steak sliced and served over a big green salad, garlic bread.

Sunday) Barbecue chicken sandwiches, french fries, sliced cantaloupes

I also have plans to make a key lime pie, M&M cookies, and homemade blueberry muffins at some point this week. I am making the key lime pie tonight but the rest will be later in the week, as we have plans keeping us busy on Tuesday and Wednesday. I also found a recipe for an apple granola breakfast cobbler that I would like to make maybe for breakfast next Saturday or Sunday.

Most of these recipes came from "Fix It and Forget It Recipes For Entertaining." I just sat down and paged through it, writing down recipes that sounded like something our family would like. Very quickly, I had a menu plan for a week! I like the Fix It And Forget It line of cookbooks because they are all recipes for the slow cooker, which as I have said before, is my friend in the kitchen. Very few things make me more content than it being 4:30 and knowing that the main effort to get our dinner on the table is already done!

I hope this inspires someone this week! Happy menu planning!
Pin It!

2 comments:

Debra said...

Thanks. I do plan my menu's on mondays and do my grocery shopping for the week. I always enjoy your menu planning blogs. My family has enjoyed the shredded chicken tacos that you make in the crock pot, they are so good and also the pork chops you make in the crock pot. I need to check out that cook book, i am always searching for new recipes.
Have a great day!

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I too meal plan for our family of 5...soon to be 6, on monday for 6 days of the week...and at times I feel drained or uninspired with the task at hand! The "Fix it and Forget it" cookbook might be just what I needed! Thanks!
(and the key lime pie sounds ummm ummmm good)
~Laura