Pages

Monday, July 21, 2008

Cooking, Gardening, And Julia Roberts


How's that for a title?

I have long admired Julia Roberts' acting and will usually see any movie she is in. (And yes, this little theory has burned me a few times.) But as a person, I like her and I think she would be fun to talk to and just compare notes on motherhood with. Plus I would really, really like to talk to her about Jesus. We are close to the same age (she hit the big 4-0 before me, though. Just for the record.). And I have watched her grow from "Mystic Pizza" to the highest paid actress in Hollywood. I like to say I knew her when.

So, the other day I was reading an interview with her from Vanity Fair and I read this quote, which only solidified my suspicion that, if we met, we would be instant friends:

Julia's ultimate dream would be: "A highly fulfilled and productive stay-at-home mom and wife. The highest high would be growing our food that I then make, and then composting and growing more -- that kind of circle."

I thought about our garden (which I haven't been to in about three weeks, but I am excited to go back on Wednesday!) And how much we have enjoyed this new concept of actually growing our own food. And how I still need to read Animal, Vegetable, Mineral, which I bought last summer and promptly shelved to read "later." But obviously never did. And how there is something about summer that gets me thinking about food. Mostly all the goodness of fresh foods like peaches and tomatoes and blueberries, etc.

Right now I am reading Home Cooking: A Writer In The Kitchen by Laurie Colwin. I also have More Home Cooking: A Writer Returns To The Kitchen, which I will read next. (HT to Cay Gibson.) These are not new books but oh boy, have I enjoyed them! They have inspired me to cook and to appreciate not just the product, but the process as well.

And so, that was my random thought on this Monday, as I have spent the whole morning in the kitchen preparing our dinner. I even took photos, so I can share them with you. Because, I figure if something takes that much effort, it should be documented in some way. Later tonight, I hope to share the photos of my dinner from start to finish. And I hope to report that it was so yummy that it was worth the effort!

PS. Having David Gray playing while you cook will almost guarantee that the time will go by faster and make the whole process infinitely more enjoyable. I mean who doesn't want to hear "Feels like lightning running through my veins, everytime I look at you" while tears run down her face as she slices several large onions? Good times.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Celly B said...

I got the starter for Friendship Bread a few weeks ago and last week made seven loaves (count 'em, 7)! Our freezer is well stocked with baked goods, and my parents and grandfather have benefited, too!

I can't wait to hear about this special dinner!

Sharon Sloan said...

Hi, Mary Beth!

I am drawn to Julia Roberts, too. She said something once in an interview that I always remember and totally agree with. She said "Thankful people are thoughtful people." It's so true!

I hope you have the opportunity to meet her someday and share Jesus with her! :)

Sharon