Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2008

On Achieving A Dream


I promised myself I would not post this until I was in possession of something I have waited MY WHOLE LIFE to receive. Though negotiations have been going on for about three months, I wanted to wait to "go public" until I knew for sure. Because I have been so close before but things fell through. And I didn't want to jump the gun... just in case that happened again.

But today, in the mail, looking every bit like an ordinary piece of mail, was an envelope that contained:

MY FIRST EVER BOOK CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!

That's right. It's true. I am finally-- after just shy of five years of submitting proposals and being rejected time and time again-- going to be published. Kregel Publishing has offered me a contract to write a book on marriage and money. Actually, Curt and I are going to do this book together. Because I couldn't write on finances without him. He is the one who does financial counseling with couples and has helped me understand finances like I never would have with my English major brain.

So, under the guidance of our most awesome agent, Bill Jensen, we decided to write a very honest book about our struggles with money and how it hurt our marriage and alllll the many lessons we have learned. In a shaky economy, this book is well-timed and we are so excited that a publisher has taken it and run with it. The book is going to be out, Lord willing, on January 1. Which is super fast for a publisher to turn a book around. But Kregel feels that it is a timely subject that needs to be out there for those couples who are struggling. I couldn't agree more.

One blessing in my broken foot is that I knew that I was probably going to be getting a contract and was able to begin writing during the time that I was sitting. Consequently, I was able to write a lot of the book over the past month. That is a huge blessing. The neat thing is, I was sort of dreading writing this book, as I was afraid the subject matter would bore me. But I have had an absolute BLAST writing it!! I have thoroughly enjoyed remembering all the things we have walked through and celebrating what we have learned all over again.

I am so stinking excited about this book and pray that God will use it in a mighty way to touch the lives of couples who are struggling with money and, consequently, struggling in their marriage too. We were that couple. We know firsthand how money can affect every aspect of your marriage. It is exciting to think that, through this book, our story (and the stories of friends who have also been willing to share) will help others find hope.

A final note about seeing a dream come true. It never happens the way you think it will. When my agent called to tell me that I was being offered a contract, I was down on my knees scrubbing a toilet. I thought to myself, "Well isn't this a fine turn of events?" After we hung up, I walked into the kitchen to find spilled juice on the floor. So, back down on my knees I went to clean that up. I had to laugh. My whole life had just changed, and yet nothing had changed.

If you are dreaming of being published or launching a business or being discovered for some talent you possess, keep trying and don't give up. One day, it will happen. But the funny thing is, by the time it does, it won't be nearly what you have built it up in your mind to be. No one will come busting into your home presenting you with flowers and singing "There she is, Miss America" while confetti rains down. Nope. It'll probably be as though nothing has happened. And yet, everything has happened. It's a strange but wonderful state of mind.

I thank God for allowing me to achieve a dream I have held in my heart since I was a little girl. Curt and I covet your prayers as we write this book.
Pin It!

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Marybeth! Congratulations! That is so exciting! Praising God with you, girl...

Joyful said...

So exited for you Marybeth and rejoicing with you. God does give us the desires of our hearts and He can do more than we can ask or imagine.
Praying for you as you write all that He lays on your heart.
Congratulations,
Joy

Amy Wyatt said...

Marybeth,
CONGRATULATIONS! I am so excited for you. That is wonderful.
Also, I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip to Disney World.
Amy

Smileyface said...

Congrats! So excited to see what God is doing for yous....even more excited to buy and read the book as I think my husband and I would really benefit from it. Can't wait til it comes out! Praise God!

Amy L Brooke said...

Congratulations! That is absolutely wonderful!!!

Lisa said...

Yipppeeee Yahhhhoooo! I'm so excited for you, Marybeth! God's timing and plan is so much more perfect than we could ever imagine. To Him be the glory for this contract and the words of wisdom you and Curt will share with us!

Blessings,
Elisa

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! I was ironing church clothes when Erin walked in to tell me about your contract, and I just felt a surge of happiness! You and Curt are a perfect team for this, and I can't wait until the book is out!
CONGRATULATIONS!
Hugs,
Amy

Unknown said...

For some reason, that last comment didn't put me as picketfencemom...but it was me!!! Once again...YAY!
Hugs,
Amy O.

Wrinkled Shirts said...

Congratulations Marybeth! And how neat that God already had it set up so you could go to Disney and celebrate. You go girl!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

This is such happy news! Can't wait to give you a big hug this Friday!
: )

Steph

Anonymous said...

Whoooo Hoooo! Marybeth!! I am sooooo happy for you! (Did I use enough "o's" to properly express myself?) I am thrilled to see something so wonderful happen for you!

Amico Dio said...

Congratulations, Marybeth!! That is awesome news!! You are such an inspiration to us all!

Kelly said...

I can't wait to read your book! I remember you wrote a devotional once about money and your matching golf-theme garbage can in the bathroom! I am really happy for you, and will keep you and your husband in prayer as you write this book!
Blessings,
Kelly

Lori said...

Praising God with you, Marybeth!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you! Glory to God!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Marybeth! I am very excited for you and I know this book will be a help and blessing to many!
Hugs,
Kelli

Jenny said...

I had goosebumps reading your post! That's awesome! I can't wait to read your book. Congratulations!

lifelaughterchaos said...

I let out a whoop! I feel like it's my own book or something! Very excited for you! See, I told you that you were Paul!!

How cool...now I will be able to say, "I knew her when...".

Congrats!

Jenni said...

I'm so stinking excited for you, too!!!!!!!!! HUGE Congratulations!!!

Kelley said...

Congratulations Marybeth!

I definitely need a copy of that book, you would think after 20 yrs of marriage we would have things worked out but $$ is still a huge area of struggle in our relationship (I hope I didn't just share too much).

It looks like life is smiling on you right now (healing foot, Disney World, book contract....) you are living the dream girl, enjoy!!!

Unknown said...

CONGRATS! :) You've been a general editor and now you are about to be a published author! How exciting!! :)

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

That's the best news and the best way to receive that kind of breakthrough that only God can do: on your knees cleaning, grinning from ear to ear, marveling at a God who loves to grant the heart's desire.

I am SO happy for you!!!!!

Carol said...

YAHOOOO!!! I am so proud! I'll be the first in line to buy it! I can't wait. I know it will be fabulous!

Julie said...

Congratulation.... and how exciting! I first found your blog after reading an article you had written for Crown Financial. God is good!

Laura said...

How exciting! I can't wait to read it!!