Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Falling... and I Don't Mean Falling In Love


Yesterday afternoon my daughter went to a Valentine's tea in a neighborhood that a friend of mine just recently moved to. So, since we were literally in the neighborhood, I called her and told her I would drop by just to see her new house really quickly and then go. I had a pork roast to get in the oven after all.

And so, I got out of the car and ran to her house-- I guess just to illustrate how quick I was going to be about things. But something happened as I tried to go over the curb. The toe of my shoe caught the curb and sent me flying-- and I do mean flying-- into her yard. Into the mud. New construction plus a rainy day equals mud people. I was covered in mud. And then, to make matters worse, I had to go to her door that way. I was just praying she had not seen my most ungraceful run to her door. (She hadn't thank goodness!) But my children did. Don't you worry about that. They never miss my worst moments.

Fast forward to today. I am in Bible study, sitting in the seat at the end of the table. Then another girl came in, very pregnant and a bit late. So, deciding to do the nice thing and give her the seat at the end of the table where she would have more room, I tried to gracefully slide over to the seat beside me. Only the corner of the table caught me and knocked me off balance just enough to send me tumbling into the floor.

And so, one minute everyone's like "Oh hey" to the pregnant girl and welcoming her and the next minute there is a crash and I am on the floor. I had an insane moment where I wondered if I could play it off like I hadn't just fallen into the floor completely sprawled out. And then everyone jumped up from the table and came running. They weren't coming to laugh at me (like my children might or might not have done). They were genuinely concerned. I alternated between laughing it off and admitting that it really hurt to fall into the floor. I all but said I meant to do that.

And so, my track record for the past two days isn't very good.

Why I'm confessing this to you is still unclear to me.
Pin It!

10 comments:

Amy L Brooke said...

I hope you get your balance back!

The last year I've felt unbelieveably clumsy. Shudder! Is it age chasing me?

I went through 38 years of life with my most significant injury being a jammed finger. Then in one year I fall off a horse (not the first time) but I broke my tailbone. I've never been in so much pain.

Six months later, I was stealthily tip toeing up the stairs while playing with my 5-year-old niece. I made it to the top and fell -- hard -- all the way down! I broke a couple fingers and sprained a knee and an ankle. My sister's first response was, "Were you playing on the stairs?" Not really. I was just trying to go up quietly so I could sneak up on her little one and hear her giggle and scream. I was the only one who screamed on my way down.

lifelaughterchaos said...

we must be related!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being real. In October I slipped somehow and fell down the only step in our house. I broke my foot. You always wish you could do a rerun and do things in a different way!

Lelia Chealey said...

OH bummer! My cousin did that one time in front of her kids' school when all the kids were outside because it was after school. She had her nephew's hand in one & her daughter's in the other & fell AND took them down too. Her daughter, a "cool-jr. higher" was so mad at her for that, like she did it on purpose. :)
I just bought a new coffee mug at Family Christian & it says...
Love
like you've never been hurt before
Live
like heaven begins tomorrow
Dance
like no one is watching
Sing
like no one is listening

Guess we can add
Fall
like you meant to. :)

Have a great weekend!
Lelia

Lisa said...

Because I needed a good chuckle this morning and comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one the falls...often! Hope you are not too bruised!

Hadassah said...

Hi, I clicked through from the Prov 31 email devotional.

You gave me a good laugh this morning. I'll never forget standing in my boss' office, wearing a dress, and trying to discretely sit in one of the chairs that faced his desk. Problem was, I missed the chair, and plopped my bottom down on the capet, legs sticking straight up in the air! My boss was polite enough to pretend he didn't really notice, but I don't think I heard a single word he said the rest of the meeting.

Lori said...

this summer, I found my self in an upscale community center, sitting with very wealthy and educated folks.
Already feeling intimidated, I tried to sit quietly and watch my son perform on a grand piano. When he finished playing, I immediately began to clap for him, forgetting I was holding a glass of wine, did I mention I was wearing white linen pants? I spent the rest of the evening having to explain how this proud mom was so thrilled to hear her son, that she attempted to
clap & balance a glass! It was quite humbling!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I get embarassed about being so accident prone (my son has accidentally broken my nose 3 times!), and it takes me down emotionally. God has been showing me lately how very much too seriously we take things, though. He has blessed me with a body that heals almost as easily as it is broken, and sometimes when I am "broken" He gets my attention to give Him the time He deserves. The bumps and bruises serve to remind me to slow down, be deliberate, and not get too serious about anything. This life is like the grass on the hill, here today and gone tomorrow.

Kelley said...

When I was pregnant with my 6th baby I seemed to fall all the time. One of those falls was outside, after my son's basketball game and in front of all the coach's and my husband. The men were very concerned and helpful, all except my husband who just looked down at me and said, "WHAT are you doing?" Sensitivity is not one of his virtues, lol!

Enjoying your blog~~Kelley

Christine said...

Oh, my goodness! I'm sorry for your bad luck ( or maye it's PMS- I always get clumsy that time of the month!) but you had me cracking up. I know, not very sensitive of me...

:)