Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Time For Vegetable Soup!


These are photos taken from earlier this week when I made vegetable soup. It was yummy and it made a ton!
First you need a "helpful" toddler.

Then you need a recipe for some easy, quick rolls and a package of yeast.
If you can't read the recipe, here it is:

California Refrigerator Rolls

1 pkg. dry yeast

2 cups very warm water

1/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1 egg, beaten

4 cups sifted flour

2 Tbsp. flour

2 tsp. salt

Dissolve the yeast in the water. Add sugar, vegetable oil, egg, flour, baking powder, and salt to yeast mixture. Stir to mix well. Store in refrigerator for up to one week. To bake: spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes.

Mix up your dough. This doesn't need time to rise, but I was able to for a bit. It does make them taste a bit better if you can do that.


Make vegetable soup. Need a recipe? Here's mine!
Zesty Vegetable Beef Soup
1 lb. ground beef
1 chopped onion
2 cans beef broth (if you want more liquid, you can add water and beef bouillon cubes-- I did)
1 can tomato soup
1 tsp. Italian seasoning mix
salt and pepper to taste
1 1b. bag of mixed vegetables
1 cup macaroni noodles
Brown ground beef and onion in Dutch oven. Drain well. Return to pot and add broth, soup, seasonings, tomatoes, and vegetables. Let simmer for at least 30 minutes. (I started mine at 2 and let it simmer all afternoon.) Add elbow macaroni and heat through. Serve.

Put the dough in muffin tins to bake.


Serve up the hot soup, preferably in Christmas bowls!


Enjoy some piping hot rolls right out of the oven with a pat of butter. A warm, comforting dinner on a cold winter evening.

Pin It!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks Yummy Marybeth...now where are those recipes...LOL..Hope you guys have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the soup recipe!!! My family loves a good soup and roll!!! Hope ya'll are well....things are hopping around here!
love to all, Amy

Jen said...

Your recipe sounds just like mine for soup....

Liz in the Mist said...

Looks yum!! But..I dont have a dutch oven :(

Theresa said...

I have always looked for a good homemade roll recipe and I shall try yours. I make a Beef Stew that looks very similar to your Vegetable soup only I use chopped up stew meat (and to stretch it I cut the meat into small pieces). I follow any "Beef Stew Mix" Pkgs that you get from the store, then I keep adding lots of vegetables like 4 or more stalks of celery, 2-3 onions, 5 or more potatoes, cut up baby carrots (as many as you like), (I chose those because you don't waste any product and save time by not having to peel them first, instead, chop and go). Then I add a 1-2 large cans of diced tomatoes or you can use stewed tomatoes and 2-3 cans of cut green beans and 2-3 cans of corn plus the liquid from all the canned "anything" you put in there. The different liquids kinda make for a vegetable base. I add barley too and you can always add any V-8 type juice if you want to stretch it, or to add to it after the first meal. It just depends on how you like your base, I like mine thinner than thicker. I guess that is why mine is more like a soup than a stew. Someone told me that it tasted just like his mother's Mulligan Stew. If you add more vegetables than the recipe calls for on the package you have to make up for the need for more liquid and I just kept adding more canned veggies or the V-8 type juice or you could even add broth. You can have fun experimenting with it. I just cook it until the potatoes are cooked and by that time, everything else is cooked too. I will have to try out your hamburger recipe, I have always wanted to do something new and different with hamburger!

Theresa