Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Hey It's Good To Be Back Home Again


When I landed in West Palm Beach on Friday night, it was 6:30 pm. When they dropped me back at the airport on Saturday, it was 6:30 pm. What a whirlwind of 24 hours!! I am still recovering and my sweet husband has been so gracious to let me lounge most of the day. (Thanks, honey!)

So, to recap my trip, I was picked up at the airport by Elizabeth, who was so sweet to chauffeur me around. We immediately went to Tina's beautiful home to have a dinner with the rest of their board of directors, who had gathered to eat a yummy dinner of Caesar salad, roasted chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, and rolls. For dessert there was a smorgasboard of choices. I picked a delicious banana chocolate chip pound cake that was moist and decadent. I meant to get that recipe from whomever had baked it! After we ate they held a quick board meeting to go over last minute details, then we all prayed. I was so touched by how passionate each woman was about the job she was doing, and the ladies who were coming. They wanted more than anything to bless, bless, bless the attendees-- and it showed.

After that, they took me to my hotel, which was a very nice Hampton Inn. I hopped in bed, called home, found a Law and Order on tv to watch, then fell sound asleep. All too soon it was time to get up, get showered, and head downstairs for some coffee and sustenance. I reviewed my notes while I sipped coffee, and it was just so nice and peaceful. The breakfast room overlooked a beautiful pool with a fountain and I could have sat there for hours.

Leann picked me up and we headed off to the event. Leann asked me if I was nervous, and surprisingly, I wasn't. I was very relaxed-- possibly because I had done these messages before. That always helps. After we got there, I set up my book table and then it was time to go on to speak. I spoke three times, and sat on one panel. Though the panel members certainly didn't need me-- they had some great tips and taught me a thing or two!

One real treat was that my cousin Amy came to hear me. Though she has homeschooled for years, she is not this year, but came anyway. It was such a sweet show of support to me. Amy and I didn't know each other very well growing up as we lived a great distance apart, but we reconnected at my grandmother's funeral a few weeks ago. When I told her I would be speaking in her city, she said, "I'll be there." And she was! Coincidentally, her Sunday school teacher is on the board of directors for the organization I was speaking for. Small world! We hung out most of the day when I wasn't speaking and then she and her husband took me around Palm Beach and the island of Palm Beach to see The Breakers resort and drive down Worth Avenue. Then they took me to get an early dinner at the Bellagio restaurant. It was so fun and I enjoyed having some time with them before we raced back to the airport and I boarded the plane for home sweet home.

One cool thing that happened was that I was on the same flight as Clayton King. (Never mind that he was in first class and I was not.) I recognized him first because of his voice as I heard him talking to a guy, then had to look at him a minute to place him. He has spoken at Elevation several times so I introduced myself as an Elevation person. He was very gracious and never once said, "Get away from me weird stalker person." So that was fun to see him. But then again, I don't get out much. It was probably not even a blip on his radar screen, when conversely I have now devoted an entire paragraph about it on my blog.

Curt picked me up from the airport and had a sweet tea waiting in the car when I got in. I told him, "You know that is better than a dozen roses to me!" And he just smiled and said, "I know, you are so easy to please." But it's true. I do love me some sweet tea. Though the lady at the Bellagio did laugh at me when I asked for some. I had to settle for water with lemon-- so not the same!

All in all, my time at West Palm was time well spent. I had a great time, experienced some new things, and from the sound of emails and blog comments I have gotten, lives were impacted.

Can't ask for more!
Pin It!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Marybeth,
We absolutely loved having you here in West Palm! God certainly spoke to many hearts through your candid, heart-revealing stories and your gentle reminders of things God has given us in his Word. You are welcome to come back anytime!
Curt, thank for allowing her a quick 24 hours away!
Blessings to you and your family!
Kim Bouchillon

Cindy Swanson said...

Marybeth, sounds like you had a great trip! Sounds wonderful.

Mylinda said...

Hi Marybeth. I've been reading your blog for a few weeks and am really enjoying it. I kept seeing you mention Elevation and though, I know of Elevation, I couldn't imagine it was the same, but it is. I know because I saw Holly's site on your list on the side. Holly Furtik was my flower girl at my wedding in 1989!! Small world, huh? Glad you're enjoying your church. It sounds like such fun! Enjoy!

TheNormalMiddle said...

oh yes, tea is better than roses anyday my friend!

GLAD you are home, safe and sound. :)

I was thinking of you as we moved this past weekend. I'm now 25 minutes closer in your direction!

Unknown said...

Hi Marybeth,

I'm giving you the Nice Matters award. You can pick it upon my blog...

Did you receive your prizes?

Beth