Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

Scraps


On Mondays I talk about scraps... odds and ends of stuff I want to say that really can't be its own blog post, so I hodgepodge it all together here.
 


I am not talking about my new novel. To anyone. Not my husband or my best friend. Not to my kids or students or strangers on the street. Not to my mom or potential agents. I am not talking about the characters or the setting or the plot or the title. I am silent about this book until I'm done with it. Reading this from author Jane Smiley made me feel like this is one of the smarter writing moves I've made recently. Whether or not it will pay off, remains to be seen, but in the meantime, it feels like I'm on the right track:

 "Exhaust your own curiosity about your project before showing it to someone else. Let your own ideas play out without getting input from others, then, after you show them your work, use their responses as input to push you forward. It may take you several drafts and a long time to come to the end of your ability to tackle a given subject, and when you do, you might be satisfied or dissatisfied with your product. If you are dissatisfied, the input of others will give you ideas for how to shape your novel further. If you are satisfied, the input of others will let you know if your novel is readable and accessible." Jane Smiley

(Source: http://publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/64221-5-writing-tips-jane-smiley.html#path/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/64221-5-writing-tips-jane-smiley.html)



Here's how to make this meat (since I was remiss in posting the recipe in a separate post). It's delicious and you should make it for your family this week! I have no name for it-- feel free to name it whatever you like!

3 lbs beef tips
1 pkg fajita seasoning
2 cans Rotel

Put all in crockpot and cook all day. When ready to eat, shred meat with two forks and serve with the juice over yellow rice. Serve with a salad or your favorite green veggie. My husband and I thought it was the tastiest meal I've made in a long time. (We might have fought over the leftovers.)

This is going to be a strange week with half of my children off for Veteran's Day tomorrow and half in school. Kind of weird to have a day off smack dab in the middle of the week. I've got plenty to keep me busy this week-- writing, She Reads, teaching etc. I've at least got my meals planned for the week, which is always a good feeling. I'm actually speaking twice this week-- once for a girls' night out event and once for the Women's National Book Association local chapter. I'm looking forward to both events. It's good to be speaking again, especially when I believe in the message like I do. This is a message I live daily, which makes me feel more qualified to bring it. (Want to know more about my speaking? See that little tab on my header that says "Need A Speaker?" Click on it to find out more.)

Finally, here are some links to things that have inspired/intrigued me recently.

Chris Botti (if you've been reading here long you already know about my feelings for him) playing the National Anthem before Monday night football. He made grown men cry.

This interview with Robert Harling, who wrote the play Steel Magnolias based on the loss of his sister. Even though the movie is 25 years old (not possible!) I learned things I didn't know.

This Christmas Pledge-- while I'm not sold on the entire thing, she makes some good points about getting ready now instead of later. Although just typing that makes me want to cry.

And finally this video of Brene Brown talking about faith and the truth about love. Good, powerful stuff. I think Daring Greatly should be required reading for all humanity.

Pin It!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Love the Brene Brown video! Thanks for sharing! And I'm going to have to try the tasty meat dish sometime!