Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Safe Haven Review


I saw Safe Haven the other night with my daughter and wanted to share my thoughts:

I had a friend ask about taking her 13yo daughter to see it. My daughter is 18 and she was totally fine. But I wouldn't take my 13yo daughter-- not because of the sex (there is one brief scene) but because of the violence. There are flashbacks to some domestic violence episodes that are pretty intense. That's just my opinion, of course you know your kid.

Julianne Hough and Josh Duhamel had better chemistry than I thought they would.

I loved seeing the shots of Southport, NC especially since I had spent some time there this summer. It's truly a lovely place.

I was pleased with how they unfolded the story. While I thought I knew where they were going, I wasn't entirely sure. And since I love to guess what's going to happen, it's saying a lot that they kept me guessing at least somewhat. It wasn't as strait forward as you might envision a Nicholas Sparks love story to be.

There was one element I did not see coming at all, which earned my respect. I never once picked up on it. If you see it and guess what it was, feel free to email me and let me know if you did so you can have my respect as well.

I would recommend seeing this movie with a girlfriend, though if your husband is really looking to earn brownie points for Valentine's Day, he won't be totally miserable.



SAFE HAVEN (Relativity Media)
Rating: PG-13
Run Time: 115 Minutes
 
An affirming and suspenseful story about a young woman’s struggle to love again, Safe Haven is based on the novel from Nicholas Sparks, the best-selling author behind the hit films The Notebook and Dear John. When a mysterious young woman arrives in a small North Carolina town, her reluctance to join the tight knit community raises questions about her past. Slowly, she begins putting down roots, and gains the courage to start a relationship with Alex, a widowed store owner with two young children. But dark secrets intrude on her new life with such terror that she is forced to rediscover the meaning of sacrifice and rely on the power of love in this deeply moving romantic thriller.

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/Safehavenmovie/info
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/safehavenmovie
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/safehavenmovie
Hashtag: #SafeHavenMovie
Pin It!

3 comments:

JenB said...

I read the book so I know what part took you by surprise and I didn't see it coming either. Can't wait to see the movie'

Zibilee said...

I have been hearing a lot about this movie, and want to see it. I am glad that you gave it a thumbs up because I rarely ever see movies like this one, and think this would be a perfect one to see with my girlfriend that loves romance.

Marybeth Whalen said...

Heather it's the perfect girlfriend movie night excursion! And JenB if you've read the book, you do know already. I think you'll be pleased seeing it on the screen.