Pages

Thursday, March 08, 2012

The Voices In My Head


Change those voices in your head
Make them like you instead

Pink
Perfect

I heard this song the other day while writing and had to stop and write down this line. Because it's so true. The voices in my head can be the meanest voices in my life. Who needs enemies when you've got yourself?

One of the things I always liked about Anne Lamott is she talks in a couple of her books about speaking kindly to herself. She showed me that's something I need to do. Sometimes I will catch myself pushing myself too hard, not giving me a break-- which is so crazy, but there it is. And I will have to remind myself that I can either be my own worst enemy or my biggest ally. And a lot of times it involves that subtle shift of simply speaking kindly to myself, using a gentle tone, easing up. Changing those voices in my head, making them like me instead.

Someone needed to hear that today. If it's you, I hope you'll listen to my voice instead of the ugly ones in your head. And then change those voices. Because you can, and that's the part we forget sometimes.
Pin It!

5 comments:

Zibilee said...

This is something that I have been working on for the past couple of weeks, and it's surprisingly hard to be constant about. Life is so much easier when we aren't mean to ourselves.

Unknown said...

Novel idea to me. Thanks i need this

Rebecca in SC said...

Definitely needed to hear these words! I just heard this song on the radio today. I have been really struggling the past several months with this. Thanks for keeping it real!

Rebecca in SC said...

Definitely needed to hear these words! I just heard this song on the radio today. I have been really struggling the past several months with this. Thanks for keeping it real!

Angie A. said...

Yes, I needed to hear that, too. Thanks so much for the encouragement. It's so hard to allow yourself to breathe when you've been taught to push, push, push.

"Be ye kind ..." can apply to ourselves, too.