Pages

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Psalms For Moms: Grace For The Good Girl


The lovely and gracious Emily Freeman has granted me permission to share excerpts from her book Grace For The Good Girl as my Psalms For Moms posts throughout the month of October. October is officially over but I wanted to share one last thought with you. Thanks Emily for sharing with us!

Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God."

My favorite version of this verse is "Cease striving and know that I am God." What a reminder for me. I can stop striving-- for money, for success, for attention, for favor, for... fill in the blanks. Instead I can simply know that He is God. When I rest in that fact-- when I simply trust Him and His perfect plans-- I find rest. Stillness. Don't know about you, but I crave rest. I crave the simplicity of just trusting and not striving. It's... freeing.

Here's what Emily had to say:

"Along with the Psalmist I can sing of stillness and of knowing that the Lord, He is God. God does not say "be still and feel like I am God." He says be still, cease striving, make space... and know. Know it as sure as oxygen and gravity. We have a fortress, a refuge, a safe place. His name is Jesus."
What do you need to stop striving for today? Your children's security? Your financial future? Your marriage? Your position or acceptance? How can you be still and know?
Pin It!

4 comments:

Zibilee said...

This message comes at a time when I am just leaning back and beginning to strop striving after a difficult time with my child. It is so peaceful when you give it up to God and he takes care of everything. I think as humans, it's hard to let go and realize that you are not the center of your own universe, but when you do, the rewards and the peace you reap are amazing. Loved this message today. It was important to hear.

Patricia said...

This has to be my favorite verse I have it written everywhere! Loved the post!

Unknown said...

Love your favorite version of Psalm 46:10

Anonymous said...

As usual, God has something to say to me through someone else! :) I've got to quit "thinking" and KNOW that HE IS...EVERYTHING I NEED! Thank you and God bless you!