Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook


I am taking the rest of this week off from blogging as I am going to be traveling a lot this week. I hope you all have a great week! If you are stopping by after reading the devotion at Proverbs 31, welcome! I hope you'll stay and poke around for awhile. Glad to have you! I will be back next Monday, when I will be announcing my new blogging daily schedule. I hope you'll come back for a visit then.



Outside my window... sunny as I write this-- blue skies, wispy clouds, still warm with just the barest hint of fall in the air

I am thinking... about the week ahead-- today I head home from one event and Wednesday I journey to another. I never travel back to back and I hardly travel at all anymore so this is a strange week for me.

I am thankful... for the time I will get to spend with friends I don't see often while I am at these events.

In the kitchen... pizza, Chick Fil A, sub sandwiches-- easy dad-friendly fare

I am wearing... black and white polka dotted pajama pants and a black top

I am creating... updated recipe files. My recipe binder got too full and so I had to go to Office Max and buy the biggest size binder they sell. This new one is 3"-- plenty of room to hold recipes galore! And it's pink!

I am going... to St Louis on Wednesday! Never been there before and looking forward to it.

I am wondering... about my new novel. Soon I will be finding out what I will be writing-- a decision that will be reached with the help and input of me, my agent, and publisher. I am excited about the possibilities!

I am reading... The Art Of Forgetting by Camille Noe Pagan, Grace For The Good Girl by Emily Freeman, The War of Art by Steven Pressfield, The Writer's Compass by Nancy Ellen Dodd-- I never read just one book at a time. I've usually got at least a nonfiction self-help type book, a writing instruction book, and a novel going at any given moment.



I am hoping... my kids do well in school this year. I've got one embarking on his first year of college, one working hard to get into college as it's her senior year, and one beginning high school and hopefully believing the adults who are telling him that freshman year counts.

I am looking forward to... learning at the workshops I will be attending at ACFW.

I am hearing... nothing. Silence really is golden.

Around the house... Packing and unpacking (anyone else feel compelled to start singing the theme song to WKRP In Cincinnati whenever they hear that phrase?). Lists. Errands. Cleaning.

I am pondering... character names. I like to glean from Facebook. Check out the people your friends are friends with for some great suggestions. Also mastheads in magazines have great character names. I can remember being a young teen and poring over the Southern Living masthead to get my character names-- that's a habit that never died out.

One of my favorite things... Greek Pastries. I can't always pronounce them but I do love nibbling on them. Last week we had our annual date night at the Greek Festival in our city and enjoyed it as always. We picked up lots of goodies and the children were grateful we came home bearing sweet gifts.

A few plans for the rest of the week: Travel.

Want to visit other Simple Woman's Daybook editions? Check out her site for links.

Pin It!

7 comments:

Patricia said...

Marybeth you sent me a book from a giveaway and there was a personal letter of yours in my book. I sent you an email. Just in case you don't get it. Here is my email.

Patricia Kemp Blackmon
mamaw1050 at att dot net

Kate said...

Your comment on your kids school got me thinking about my kids as my youngest went to college last month and it is very quiet in my house. I am getting used to the empty nest and not having any school events to attend. It is very strange. In some ways I miss it, but then again I don't. My children are all spread out - NC, PA, NYC and I live in VA. I am enjoying the quiet and the time with my husband, but I do miss my children. Enjoy them while they are still close by.

Camille Noe Pagan said...

Thanks for mentioning my novel, Marybeth! I really enjoyed your devotion this morning.

I'd love to know what you think of The War of Art after you finish it. I read it last year and wish I'd done so ages ago; it's been really helpful in terms of the way I think of my daily writing habits.

Showing Joy said...

Thank you for the devotion today. I pray safe travels for you. I have begun For the Write Reasons, and would just like to thank you for the work. It is wonderful! After every personal story, I tell my husband it was my favorite! I didn't know you were a Wolfpack girl. My husband and I met in English class at State, and the Lord has blessed us ever since. Go Pack! Thanks again for everything you do for the Lord.

Hope Squires said...

Thank you from another Wolfpack girl! I loved your P31 devotion this morning and wanted to thank you for your word of encouragement. Just what I needed to start my day.

Jen said...

Marybeth, I used to make lists of names from the mastheads of Teen, Seventeen and YM magazines when I was a teen. Always thought I was the only one that did that. Now if only I could bring some of these potential characters to life!

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Marybeth,

I read your "For the Write Reason" book last spring and marked it up. Thank you.

It was fun to stop by your site today and see what you are thinking about, reading and studying. May God bless this new novel idea that is brewing!

I write mostly non-fiction so looking for names doesn't come up as much, but I was intrigued by your idea of using magazine and fb as creative idea-starters. Thanks.

Jennifer
www.jenniferdougan.com