Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Fiction Friday: Writing Likable Characters


Last week we asked our characters who they are. This week we're asking: Does anyone like you?

That's a question we have to answer for our characters. These two posts will help to determine how to make sure that the answer is a resounding YES!

Captain America's Ten Step Guide To The Likable Hero

Creating Sympathetic Heroes, Part I

I will never forget one of the biggest pieces of feedback I got from my editor after she read She Makes It Look Easy was "I don't like your main character. She's insecure, she whines, she's not good at anything she does. I just feel depressed when I read her." I had to go back and figure out how to make it so my reader didn't feel that way about her. Because if readers feel that way, they will put your book down. I hope that these posts will help you create likable characters so you never have to hear what my editor said. If I can save one person from that fate, I've done my job.
Pin It!

No comments: