Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Psalms For Moms: Haunted


Psalm 25:12, "Who, then, is the man that fears the Lord? He will instruct him in the way chosen for him."

Haunted doesn't have to mean ghosts and spooky houses. The dictionary also defines haunted in this way: "to recur persistently to the consciousness of; remain with, preoccupied, as with an emotion, memory, or idea; obsessed."

And yet when we think of the word haunted, we do think first of fear, don't we? Let's go with that today.

I read this recently in My Utmost For His Highest, and it gave new meaning to the correlation between haunted and fear. I thought I'd share it with you, courtesy of Oswald Chambers:

"The Psalmist says we are to be haunted by God... A child's consciousness is so mother-haunted that although the child is not consciously thinking of its mother, yet when calamity arises, the relationship that abides is that of the mother. So we are to live and move and have our being in God, to look at everything in relation to God, because the abiding consciousness of God pushes itself to the front all the time. If we are haunted by God, nothing else can get in, no cares, no tribulation, no anxieties... To be haunted by God is to have an effective barricade against the onslaughts of the enemy... We rob ourselves of the marvelous revelation of this abiding companionship of God."

Does God haunt you? Do you fear Him? Think of the way your child feels about you-- the way they run to you when they are scared or hurt or uncertain-- the way you are their first instinct-- even before they process the situation their brains are simply saying "Run to her."

This has given new meaning to the idea of fearing God, and what that fear-- that haunting-- can add to my life. I hope that it gives you something to ponder today as you decide if you fear God, and if He haunts you as He should. I know I've been giving it a lot of thought.

Psalm 112:1, "Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who finds great delight in his commands."

Psalm 128:1, "Blessed are all who fear the Lord, who walk in his ways."

This will be my last Psalms For Moms for a month. I will be back in August!
Pin It!

1 comment:

Chelsea Cooley said...

This really hit me! I broke up with my boyfriend of 7 years 6 months ago because deep down I knew God just did not want him for me, and I acted like Jonah and ran from Him haunting me for too long. Well 6 months later, we are both home from school living in the same town, and he has a new girlfriend and it's been driving me crazy. I had to change his name in my phone to "Talk to Jesus," and even though he resists, I told him we cannot be friends out of respect for her. He doesn't understand and argues that she can't tell him who he can and can't be friends with, but we all know that it is just not right and rarely works. God it haunting me and reminding me to turn to him and trust that we broke up for a reason and that he has a special plan for me!

Thanks for a great blog!!