Pages

Monday, August 09, 2010

Writing In The Midst of Life


One of the questions I often get asked is how I write in the midst of a busy life. This answer from an interview I read is a perfect one so I thought I'd share it!

Q: You have one of those things I call a very beautiful, messy life – it’s full of family, friends, grandbabies, and lots of love! How do you possibly find time or the energy to write in the midst of it? What advice would you offer to people who want to write and become published that have a hard time juggling all manner of things in their life to accomplish that?

A: The only way to write in a big beautiful, messy, life is to learn how to churn the words out in the middle of life's unending dramas. The writer's retreat—why, it sounds heavenly, but I can't do it. I have to keep the deadlines knocked out in the middle of it all. The second half of your question speaks to one of my soapbox subjects. If you need to write, if you have to write because it's what you do and who you are, you'll find time to write. None others need apply sounds harsh, but it's the cold hard truth from where I sit.

And I had to add this quote I found further down in the interview, because it's so true!

Q: River, what have you found to be the very best advice anyone has ever given you about writing and what hard-earned experience from your own career would you would most want aspiring authors to know?

A: Best writing advice – To listen to the story asking to be told. Advice to aspiring authors? I really used to think that getting my first novel published would change my life overnight. Now I roll around on the floor and laugh and cry when I think of that. I would never want anyone to lower their expectations but I would encourage them to embrace the writing life over the long road and enjoy every day of it.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marybeth,

You are an amazing woman and a truly gifted writer. I just finished reading your book, "The Mailbox" and couldn't put it down, so much so that I read it in one day! I love it!!! I just wanted to say Thank you!

Blessings to you!

Jessica Marriott

Karen Ehman said...

I for one can attest first hand how one Miss Marybeth can write in the midst of hollerin' kids, something boiling over on the stove and activity swirling all around. I've seen her do it and her focus is amazing.

I had my laptop along, was trying my hand at blogging for the first time and could barely find the on button due to the hustle and bustle going on!

However, sometimes I do wonder if she and Curt actually had a dozen kids, not a half-dozen. Perhaps six of them wandered off when she wasn't looking ! ;-)

Love ya, MB!!!

Shelly said...

Whoa! You strike again with the right info at the right time! How do you continue to do this?

I am marveling at how God works, and I cannot wait to read the entire interview. First, I have to make some time for writing : )