Pages

Friday, November 21, 2008

How To Roast A Chicken


First, gather some simple ingredients-- some limes, some fresh herbs, and coarse ground salt and pepper... and olive oil, but obviously I forgot to put that in the photo. (Just pretend it's there.)
Then wash your chicken (in this case there are two there) and take out the yucky stuff they leave in it. Throw that away and put your chicken on the rack in your roasting pan. Stuff it with the limes (or lemons or oranges) and your fresh herbs. Just cram it all in there. Take a barbecue brush (mine came free on the bottle of KC Masterpiece) and brush olive oil all over the bird, then sprinkle liberally with the coarse ground salt and pepper.

Roast at 425 for about 45 minutes to an hour-- unless you have two chickens, which will necessitate lots of standing by the oven door waiting because it takes much longer for two of them to roast. Who knew? These took somewhere between 1.5 and 2 hours for those little white thingies to pop out, telling me that they were, in fact, finally done.

I made two chickens, in case you were wondering, because I was taking a meal to a friend so I just doubled what I was making for my family. After I did this, I thought-- why not do that every time? It didn't take all that much longer and I could freeze the meat for other recipes that call for cooked chicken.

This is a good meal and a whole chicken is pretty cheap, usually. We served this with baked sweet potatoes and corn. We also had apple crisp for dessert that night-- a perfect fall meal, warm and hearty.

If you've never roasted a chicken, I suggest trying it. It's not hard and with roasting pans being on sale right now because of Thanksgiving, it's a good time to pick one up and give it a try!



PS. If you don't normally read the comments, I would suggest reading the comments on this post, as Fiddledeedee's comment is so funny, as always! :)
Pin It!

5 comments:

Fiddledeedee said...

I'm gonna try it.

Up until now, my recipe for roasted chicken was:
•Go to Sam's Club
•Rush back to the meat section
•Wrestle the cane from the elderly patron who is going for the last roasted chicken
•Trip 'em with it
•Grab the bird and run like mad

Jenny said...

Marybeth,
A while back you mentioned Chris Botti in one of your posts... Thank you! My mom and I both are now officially in love with that man and his trumpet. His music is breathtaking. Thanks for introducing him to me!
Btw, I may have to try to cook a whole chicken now! :)
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Oh yum!!!!!

thistlewoodfarm said...

I am totally pinning this! I have never roasted a chicken before....but you have inspired me!

Have a blessed and totally amazing day!

karianne

Marybeth Whalen said...

Thanks for the pin! You should try it-- it's easy and tastes delicious, not to mention it looks fancy. Fancy but easy is my favorite! And it's something else to do with your herbs!!