Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Singing A Selfish Song


One cd that never leaves my car is an oldie but a goodie-- the Paul Colman Trio's New Map of The World. Every so often, I just get in the mood to hear it. This morning as I drove my son to work was one of those times. Listening to that cd got me thinking about a lot of things, so I thought I would share them here:

My favorite song on that cd is called "The Selfish Song." It's a great song, no matter how many years go by! The lyrics, unfortunately, are still true.

Here's another good one off that cd. The lines from the song:

Refusing to believe that you paid the tab for me
And that happiness is here to find
To know the truth, but to stay behind
And to burn your invitation to the promised land.

Have always reminded me of someone I love. Someone I still pray will one day accept their invitation to the promised land and believe that the tab has been paid. Do you have someone like that in your life? I am sure a great many of us do. How hard it is to continue to pray for their salvation when we have watched them strike that match and burn that invitation right in front of us. And yet... This song was a great reminder to persevere in praying for this person.

Today I want to spend the day singing an unselfish song. A true challenge but one we must take up every day if we are to live as Jesus asked us to. With His help, I think it's possible-- even though I am really bad about forgetting and letting the flesh take over, fueling my motives and my actions if I am not careful. I am prone to sing my selfish song, too loud and too clear.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your writing. I enjoy your blog so much. You are so real and so filled with the spirit. I love today's message to "keep on keepin' on" I shared it with a few folks that needed to hear your encouraging words.

May God continue to Bless you and your family.

Peace,
Jodi