Monday, May 12, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

Below is my menu plan for this week. I will warn you, it is not very exciting. I could do better, but I am still dealing with the last of this cold and a very busy schedule including trying to find a house to live in! So, this is the best I can do, I am afraid--

Monday) Chef Boyardee pizza (my car is in the shop being inspected and getting a windshield wiper fixed, so I had to go with a stand-by in the pantry because I couldn't get to the grocery store)

Tuesday) sloppy joes, tater tots, baby carrots dipped with ranch dressing for dipping

Wednesday) popcorn chicken (the Tyson bag of frozen ones) served over a salad

Thursday) beef tips over rice, green beans

Friday) barbecue chicken, wild rice, leftover salad from Wednesday

Saturday) chicken tacos

Note: to make the barbecue chicken, I just lay thawed chicken breasts in a greased 9X13 pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and garlic salt, and pour a bottle of barbecue sauce over the chicken. Bake at 350 for one hour. Make some five minute wild rice and serve with a salad or just warm up some frozen corn or a couple of cans of baby peas and you have a delicious meal. This is a good one to start your daughter out with and she can say she knows how to make a whole meal. I will be including my daughter in the preparations for this meal this week!

To make the chicken tacos, just lay 1 pound thawed chicken breasts in your crockpot, mix a packet of taco seasoning with a can of chicken broth and pour over chicken. (I double this recipe for my crowd.) Cook all day and just before serving, shred chicken with two forks. Makes a delicious filling with soft or hard taco shells. Top with shredded cheese, taco sauce, shredded lettuce (I buy it already shredded), chopped tomatoes-- whatever you like. This makes a fun and easy weekend meal!
Pin It!


LauraLynn said...

Thanks for sharing your very "real" menu, it helps us Mom's in the trenches to know we don't have to do it all and be a gourmet chef.
We'll be trying that chicken taco idea! Sounds great~

Joni said...

Love the tip about getting your kiddos in the kitchen...thanks!

Miss Sandy said...

Thanks for sharing the quick and easy chicken taco recipe, it sounds delicious! I think I'll try it later this week!

Lori - The Simple Life at Home said...

The chicken taco recipe sounds delicious!! So simple and good - thanks for sharing. I'll be trying it soon.

And I never thought of using popcorn chicken over a salad. Yummy!

Feel better soon!

Kelley said...

I am trying to set a record for "not going to the store." LOL Actually I had planned to go yesterday (because I am informed daily that we have NOTHING to eat in our house) but Quin threw up and couldn't go to school.

Oh well, Mac-N-Cheese it is! Perhaps today I will venture out.....

I hope all is well in your part of the world, I am counting down the days to She Speaks!


sarah said...

looks good to me! -

Come check out the cheeseburger salad that turned out incredibly well from the new Pampered Chef recipe book. Their 29 minutes to dinner has excited even my picky kids! I can't get over my daughter raving over their recipes now that I have started cooking more creatively.

Have a great week!

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...


Tonight I pray for a happy return to health for you, friend... and peace and joy always on the interim, regardless...

Much love,

Alyce said...

Oh I love how you do your chicken tacos. I am guessing you keep the crock pot on low all day?
I'll be trying that soon!!