Pages

Friday, February 29, 2008

House For Sale


Today is the day our house goes on the market. We are still not totally ready for showings, but the realtor and I decided we could still stick a sign in the yard and get the house into the MLS listings. It is a good feeling, but it is also something I am sort of not ready for. I am not ready to keep my house "show ready" at all times. I am not ready to live in that limbo of wondering if every showing is "the one." But I also know that going through this is the only way to get to the desired outcome-- a home that we can fit into better.

As I was writing this, it occurred to me how very much like the Christian life this is. You commit your life to Jesus and follow Him in spite of the cost this life requires. Yesterday at CBS, our core group discussed how unpleasant this walk can be at times. Since we are going through Acts, this theme is woven throughout our study. To follow Christ does not mean that you are assured of a pain-free, stress-free life. There are many battles to fight, many hurdles to overcome. There is rejection and hurt and struggle. Not all the time, but it is definitely part of the mix. And yet, to reach our desired outcome-- that moment when we hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant"-- we must endure.

And so, that is my deep spiritual thought for the day. The carpet being done is helping my perspective a lot. In the end, I did learn to "count it all joy" and to "be thankful in all things." By the time the carpet guys left, I was sitting in the living room with my kids, watching them install the carpet on the stairs, laughing over the two year old's continual fascination with the one guy. I learned their names finally (Jesse and James, isn't that funny?), and even told them about our church. I couldn't beat em, so I joined em. And I had a good time in the process. Imagine that.
Pin It!

13 comments:

Celly B said...

Hi, Marybeth!
I'll pray for your house being sold and for just the right family to fall in love with it and for everything to come together smoothly. Putting it on the market is a nerve-wracking time, especially with little ones in the house and feeling the pressure to keep it "show ready."
Our house is for sale, too. We've had a lot of showings in the past few weeks, so hopefully the market is picking up here in the spring! It sounds like y'all have picked the right time and have done some good work to make it attractive to buyers!

Debra said...

Marybeth,
I will keep this in my prayers for you. I remember selling our house in Phoenix before moving to the bay area Patience, Patience is what i learned.
Have a great day!

Alyce said...

Hey there..
I hope the sign in your yard will say SOLD very soon! Have you all found a new one yet??

Are you going to share that banana bread recipe with us?????

Blessings~Alyce

LadyD said...

I love your blog!
I just found you last week, and I am truly inspired by your Faith and Honesty~
I hope it is okay if I link you- You have an enjoyable site to read daily,
L.

Laura said...

Congrats on getting the carpet done and moving on to the next step! I'm praying with you that the timing is just right in your selling and buying, and that the process will be a joyful one...okay, that the process won't be too painful! I can't imagine keeping a house "show ready" with all those beautiful children of yours! And a dog too? God bless you, Marybeth. Oh, wait, He already has!

Carol said...

I wish you the best in selling your house! I'll say a little prayer to the man upstairs for you.

Valerie said...

Thanks for meeting us for lunch; it was truly a blessing to me and I loved being able to talk writing and houses :-) I hope your house sells quickly, you don't get those "We'll be there in 10 minutes" showing calls, and that Curt isn't halfway around the world when an offer comes in!

Amy Wyatt said...

I will be praying for your sale to be successful quickly! Hope you have a great weekend.

Valarie said...

Hey girl. Praying for a quick and painless process! Guess what? I just registered for SHE SPEAKS!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Can't believe it!!

See ya!!!
Val

Sherri said...

We just sold our house after being on the market almost 6 months. It's a roller coaster ride, but one that I know you will see God's hand in. Praying for a quick sale for you and your family!

Sherri

Charlene Kidd said...

I am in agreement with you and your family for a quick and smooth sale of your house. You deserve to get to the next one soon.
Charlene

Jenni said...

I so sympathise. Having workers in your house is so disruptive and stressful! I'm glad they are done and the sign is in the yard! Now for the fun of showings. Ugh!

I don't think I've commented before, but I wanted to let you know that I am loving your writing!

Brendan Amorose said...

It gets more difficult to part with a house as your stay lengthens since memories become attached to the house. They stick like wallpaper, which we can't bring when we move out.