Pages

Friday, February 22, 2008

A Day Off


After spending most of a week alone with six kids, rainy weather, sickness and sniffles, and having serious conversations with short people in which I discuss in detail why we don't hit each other with stuffed monkeys, I sent this email to my husband this morning.

Dear Sir:

This is to inform you that your wife, Marybeth Whalen, has been awarded a day off from motherhood and wifehood and general familial obligations. Her designated day is Saturday, February 23, 2008. This will involve her being absent from your home for the duration of that day, in which she will run errands alone, work on some writing projects, and attend a baby shower. We at The Motherhood Emancipation Project have deemed this day necessary and paramount to her mental health.

Please note that this does not absolve you from going to visit a home she has her eye on on Sunday immediately following church services.

In the case of your objection to this notice, please forward all complaints to someonewhocares@momisouttahere.com. They will get to your complaint just as soon as possible.

That might just be awhile, though.
Pin It!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Madam,

I want to just acknowledge how strongly I agree with the discussion. One additional comment, please reserve $20 for the lunch of your choice topped off later in the afternoon by your most favorite Starbucks drink.

Sincerely,

One heck of a lucky husband

MelissaTaylor.org said...

Awwww, Your One Heck of a Husband rocks!!!! Enjoy your day and your lunch and Starbucks! You deserve it all!

Love,
Melissa

TheNormalMiddle said...

If only my hubby had email at his work, and I'd do this too!

Good for you girl!

Kimberly said...

Oh, I am laughing out loud and heading to compose a letter to my hubby. :)
We all need to run away sometimes! Hope you have a great time!!!!

Lisa B @ simply His said...

What an awesome letter! Much deserved day! And wonderful husband :D

I hope you are refreshed, refueled and all those other re-things on your day off :)

Cayce's crazy life said...

Recently I stumbled by accident across your blog page. I have been getting daily devotions from EFT for over a year, and I don't know what possessed me (actually I think I do) to click on your name under your devotion title. To say I was shocked that a whole world lived behind that name is an understatement! I had never seen a blog page before (which is really sad since I am a teacher at a technology magnet school!)
Anyway, I'm hooked. I put your blog on a favorites page, then clicked on all the women writing for EFT and added their blogs, got more blogs off your blog, and... blah blah blah. It's like that shampoo commercial "And they'll tell two friends, and so on and so on..."
Now my cup runneth over!! I do love curling up at the end of the day to see what's new with all of you!
As for your day off tomorrow, enjoy it!! What a great letter, and an even more fabulous response from your hubby!
I'm a mother of 5 (his, mine, ours) ranging in age from 20 to 7 months. I fed him green beans for the first time the other day, and he threw up all over. What do you think about adding chocolate chips??!!

Cayce

Amanda said...

Too funny! Is there an advocacy department at The Motherhood Emanicpation Project? I really think they should be working on mandatory days off for the rest of us.

Have fun with yours...

Amy L Brooke said...

May it be a blessed day!

I'm working on the other end of motherhood emancipation project -- a friend's two little ones (4 1/2 and just turned 3) are coming for a visit later in the afternoon and we are making cookies and having pb&j for dinner or maybe frozen pizza. Her hubby is out of town.

Have a great day.

Christine said...

Bwaaahahaha! Too funny! I need to claim one of those days too.

Patti's Chat said...

Your creative mind really shines through on this. I couldn't help but giggle when I read it. I love the idea and might have to steal/borrow it,hope you don't mind!? ;)
You've always been a strong woman of integrity and it's obvious to me that it is because you're good at taking care of your family by taking care of yourself.