Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Blessings On Valentine's Day


I have had one of the best Valentine's Days I can remember in a long, long while. I think in part because I stopped having expectations of how the day was "supposed" to be a long time ago and learned to take holidays like today as they come. This has caused much less anger and stress, which is always a good thing.

And so, here are just a few "unexpected" Valentine blessings I received today:


  • a dish of dark chocolate hearts on our table at CBS (Community Bible Study) this morning for our core group to enjoy as we discussed our lesson-- digging deep into God's word and eating chocolate-- two of my favorite things!
  • a family lunch at Chick-fil-a with buy one/get one free combos
  • meeting another large family at lunch and talking to them for a bit about what a blessing children are
  • leaving the kids at home while the baby napped to slip away alone-- what we like to call a pseudo date
  • a perfectly made Cinnamon Dolce Latte at Starbucks on our pseudo date
  • going to look at a house that is big enough and affordable-- a house that is exactly what we have described that we wanted... now to just sell our house before someone else buys it!
  • preparing our traditional Valentine's Day "red dinner": spaghetti with Cherry 7Up to drink and Cheerwine cake for dessert
  • a sweet card from my husband when I woke up this morning
  • watching him give our daughters sweet cards-- and knowing I am giving my daughters the love of a father-- something I never really had but something I vowed I would someday give my own children
  • my 13 yo daughter making our table look pretty with Valentine's decorations all by herself while we were on our pseudo date
  • grandparents popping by to give the kids bags of candy, hugs, and cards declaring their love
  • the faces that looked back at me from around our candlelit table as we ate dinner, dreaming about whether we would be eating dinner in another house this time next year!
  • Lost is on tonight-- another pseudo date on the couch with my hubby to cap off a great, great day!
Pin It!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is a Valentine blessing every day to me. Thanks for being so honest about your life.

~"Sam"

twinklemom said...

That is a very wonderful blessing for Valentines Day!

Happy Valentines Day to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Marybeth - My family too wonders if we will be in our new home by this time next year! We are also looking for a house that is big enough for our family and affordable - and selling our current home will be no easy task!

I will be praying for your family!

In Christ -
Kristi

Julie said...

What a great list of blessings... and I love how this post begins! I just recently realized (on my birthday) how I place "expectations" on celebrations and end up feeling sad and disappointed. I really do enjoy the simple everyday... not sure why I expect the romantic and surprising gestures.