Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Stupid People


Many years ago, I heard a female comedian talk about skinny women. And how skinny women say things like, "I just forget to eat." The comedian went on to say that was a bunch of malarkey-- that only stupid people forget to eat. I have never forgotten that.

Fast forward to today. I ate this morning around 10:30, a bowl of cereal with a banana sliced on top. Then I got busy. Just before I left to get the kids from school this afternoon, I made a big pot of baked potato soup, which we will eat for dinner topped with bacon and cheese. My daughter is making a chocolate chip cake and in a moment (when I finish with this), I am going to help her make a chocolate lovers' frosting. So it's not like I haven't been near the kitchen or around food.

A minute ago, I was suddenly, overwhelmingly hungry. Famished. I thought about it, and I couldn't remember what I had eaten last, or when. I backtracked through a myriad of assorted tasks and landed on that long-ago bowl of cereal. It has been six hours since I ate that, though!

And then I remembered the quote from the comedian-- that only stupid people forget to eat. And I stood there, thinking that something I have long suspected is absolutely true. While being a mom has made me so much smarter in so many ways, it has also made me stupid, too. Many brain cells lost forever through pregnancy, sleepless nights, and dealing with little people who ask mind-boggling questions and have their own brand of thick-headedness. (Ever found yourself arguing with one of them??) Though, I must say that the little people at my house never forget to eat! Confirming something else I have long suspected-- they are actually smarter than me.

And so moms, if from time to time you feel stupid, just remember, it's not your fault. It's part of the job description.
Pin It!

15 comments:

Charlene Kidd said...

I appreciate that reminder. As I did a couple of silly things today, I had to question is because I lost some brain cells in childbirth,or was it because I was up to late laughing with some P31 friends!! I am glad I am not the only one with these challenges.
Charlene

Christa said...

I didn't eat breakfast today. I didn't mean to. I was busy. We were trying to get out the door. I fed the boys (ages 5, 2, and 9 mo.) and loaded them into the car - and we left. I had some hot tea with me. I drank it. About 1130, when Bible study ended and I headed to pick up the kids, it hit me. I was famished. As I was driving toward home, it was me who couldn't pass the big golden arches. That was the best double cheeseburger and fries I ever ate - and the kids were thrilled with the chicken nuggets, too.

Just thought I'd share. You aren't alone. Now I must go fix dinner.

MaryLu said...

Just so you know, it's the days that I am in the kitchen working that I actually forget to eat. No you aren't alone.

Alyce said...

Marybeth, right there w/ ya girl! Like Marylu, I find that when I am in the kitchen most, I don't eat as much..hmm..maybe I should become a caterer. Its like I get sick of looking at food too.. But I do get busy, then get that terrible pang of hunger and realize "stupid me, I didnt eat".
Blessings~Alyce

JulieM said...

Thanks for the reminder!! Somdays I really wonder if I have a brain left :)!!

Monique said...

Thanks for making me smile! I needed that today.

Anonymous said...

I am completely convinced that with each baby, each placenta about 15% of all brain cells leave as we birth that "afterbirth". So there's my excuse. Mommy brain is what I call it and it is definitely real. Especially for those of us who stay at home. I think we grow up all over again (brains too) with our kids. My oldest is 9 so there I am ... a 42 year old 9 year old!!
julie
www.homeschoolblogger.com/juliestew

Alyce said...

I've always said, we give birth to our brains too!
They suck it all out of us don't they!
but we love them!
Blessings~Alyce

Bonita said...

Okay, well I've got a double dose of stupid! I was one of those skinny people that forgot to eat before I ever had kids! I can't blame it on childbirth.

Christine said...

LOL! I probably average 2 meals a day based on mere stupidity, I guess.

Celly B said...

I am convinced that as those precious angels spend nine months siphoning off nourishment from us, they also steal away many of our brain cells! Apparently, though, those brain cells weren't in the hunger area of my brain. I can't seem to forget to remember to eat!

I thought you also might be interested in checking out a new blog carnival on my blog, "Thirstin' for the Word Thursdays." Here's the link:
http://cellybbusyathome.blogspot.com/2008/01/thirstin-for-word-thursdays.html

Don't forget lunch today!

Lisa B @ simply His said...

My mom always told me she was smarter before I came along -- Of course I thought she was kidding until I had my daughter. I lost some badly needed brain cells in the process. But never fail, if I need to know something, I just ask my 8-year old. She knows everything!

I thought I was the only one who forgot to eat :D

Anonymous said...

"Though, I must say that the little people at my house never forget to eat! Confirming something else I have long suspected-- they are actually smarter than me."

... but YOU MUST NEVER LET THEM KNOW!

Lynn said...

It may have started with the little people in my life many years ago, but I'm a grandmother now who can no longer blame it on my children sucking my brain cells out . . . I believe I just get into my groove in the morning and it's a downward spiral until I find myself eating my way through the kitchen between 2 and 3 and wondering why I'm hungry???? Then it happens: My brain wakes up and says, "Hey, you know what? You didn't eat lunch."

I refuse to call myself stupid over that, though. I don't think God would be happy to hear my use such names for His creation.

As women we are often very involved in the work He has for us. When we forget, perhaps it's just because our focus is on the tasks He has for us. Being a mom is a huge one, and most important as well. Please don't beat yourselves up so badly.

Welcome! said...

THAT was funny! Thanks for making me smile today.