Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

In Which I Discover The Danger of Letting Your Toddler Brush Your Hair While Responding To Emails


This morning I had the distinct pleasure of having not one, but two ladies over for lunch at my house. The whole thing was put together at the last minute, and I could not have been more pleased. I had invited Brandi over for a visit several weeks ago, when Shari let me know that she was coming for a visit, like it or not!! That is just the kind of friendship that Shari and I have-- which is sort of funny now when I think back to when we first met... but that's a story for another time. (Ok,I will explain briefly. Shari is an image consultant who does fashion makeovers for women all over the country. She is all about the clothes, the hair, the makeup, the accessories. And I am all about what is fastest and easiest. So I sort of dismissed her as someone I would ever have anything in common with! You never know what God has in store as we have become great friends!)

So, anyway, I didn't know if they would both actually show up seeing as how Brandi's baby had had a bug the day before so I just let whatever happened happen. And they both showed up! We had a great time and great conversation. I made baked potatoes and put out toppings, plus I had cut up watermelon and, per Shari's request (or should I say demand) pumpkin bread. Yum! I also made sure Shari went home with some pumpkin bread of her own.

And here's where the title comes in. I got an email from Shari thanking me for feeding her lunch. As I was checking emails, my 2yo decided she wanted to stand in the chair I was sitting in and brush my hair. This is never a pleasant experience, yet it is one of her favorite things to do. I often suggest other victims for this particular unpleasantness. But not this time. And so, while she brushed my hair, including pulling all the tangles out, ("Ooooh mommy, you got tangles?") I continued doing what I thought was a pretty swell job of reading and replying to emails. All while nearly having my hair ripped out by an overzealous toddler armed with a hairbrush.

A short time after I responded to Shari's email, she called. When I got on the phone, she was laughing hysterically. "Do you know what you just wrote to me?" she sputtered out. I had no idea.

She had thanked me for feeding her, and I had responded, "I'll feed you anytime." But instead I wrote, "I'll feel you anytime." Shari laughed and laughed and laughed some more. And I had to laugh too. Because it was funny, and because I was relieved that I had done that to someone who loves me anyway and not someone I barely know.

And so, from now on when the baby is brushing my hair, I will refrain from typing emails and stick to catching up on blogs--

And finally, an update:
Just to let you know I have made a double batch of blueberry muffins (which we had with eggs and bacon for dinner last night), three loaves of pumpkin bread and 2 loaves of eggnog bread this week!!
Just don't ask me how many words I have written...
Pin It!

12 comments:

More than Survival said...

Oh, my goodness... that is just too funny! I can see something like that happening to me!!!
YIKES!!!!
Heather

Melissa Milbourn said...

THAT is Hilarious!! I laughed so hard that Denny came in to ask what I was laughing about!

Celly B said...

Oh, that is too funny! What a great point you make, too, about dismissing possible friendships. I am guilty far too often of that.

I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and your kind words. I really appreciate it.

Laura said...

That is funny! Glad you caught up on your bread making. The fam is happy I'm sure!

Unknown said...

Great job on getting the bread done! I LOVE baking! It is such a joy to create something from nothing and have those around you enjoy it and tell you how delicious it is! I would love the eggnog bread recipe if you will share it...I've never heard of that particular bread before and would like to try it out!

Prayers and Blessings!
Rebecca

MaryLu said...

I was answering the many incoming phone calls at Sears Catalog many years ago when they actually had one. I answered the phone with "Sears Catalog, may I hold you?" "Ah, sure," came the deep masculine reply. I was mortified!

Shari Braendel said...

Hi,it's me...!!!! Just wanted you to know that there is barely a scrap of pumpkin bread left! Thank you, thank you, and please don't respond to this message! And oh my goodness, Marylu's comment is hilarious!!!! I had to read it twice before I noticed she wrote "hold"!!!! love ya, Shari

Shari Braendel said...

Hey, how do I order your e-book? I have my credit card out and ready to go but I can't find it anywhere on your blog....what did you do with it? I need it NOW.....I have decided to become a baker....yes, you heard it, a baker......in my household. Oh my goodness, that would be like you saying you are going to dress up to cook every day....what is this world coming to???? I am also going to try some of the recipes and even maybe, just maybe get a crock pot. Luke asked me once when he was little, he said, "Mommy, when you grow up, are you gonna be a cooker like Daddy?" I'll never forget it...so when I told both of them I am gonna start trying some of your recipes and I would take over dinner prep on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Luke looked at me and said, "are you serious?" and Dave looked at me and said, "do you really want to talk to MaryBeth that much?" And THEN, he said, "why don't you forget the cooking and try some of her baked goods cause that pumpkin bread was the best I ever had!" So, I am a baker...oh yes I am! So, I need that e-book TONIGHT. Please put it back on your site...even though it is called Christmas Joy, I don't care..I have to get started before I change my mind! love, Shari

Jenny said...

That is so funny! I can relate...My 2 year old loves to play with my hair. Most of the time it is very relaxing until she comes across a tangle! I have always loved it when anyone plays with my hair. It's the fastest way for me to relax. I can see how easily you misspelled the word. Thank goodness it was written to a close friend!

Alyce said...

too funny!!
that will be forever in your memories.
My 4yr old loves to "do" my hair too. Complete w/ clips, pony tails and sharp brushes!
I'll encourage cosmetology school..will be cheaper!
Blessings~Alyce

Heather said...

Oh no, you and marylu just about made me pee my pants laughing so hard!

cceeyore said...

Think eggnog bread ... think happy thoughts! Need eggnog bread recipe. Recovering from back surgery. Need happy thoughts ... need eggnog bread recipe.

cceeyore@mac.com