Pages

Monday, January 14, 2008

Goals Update


So, it is Monday afternoon and I have not made yeast bread, nor have I written a word towards my word count goal. So, like, yeah. In the interest of full disclosure, I decided to put this out there. Just so you wouldn't be too impressed with my lofty goals. Cause while they sounded so good, (don't they just sound so good on a Sunday afternoon when the week lies before you and such things seem possible?) they didn't play out so well.

I did, however, have a conversation with my agent in which we 1) discussed how great a time it is for my proposal to be circulating and generally patted ourselves on the back even though we, in fact, have no offer on the table-- that was beside the point 2) skirted the issue of whether he liked the portion of fiction I submitted to him by telling me to read some books on fiction writing (Yes, that is totally what he did. Hence the reason I am no longer pushing myself to write X amount of words on the fiction manuscript. Because, why bother?) and 3) discussed yet another idea that I had that he thinks is, quote, fabulous, unquote. He totally used the oreo effect on me and I didn't see it until the end of the conversation-- start off nice and complimentary, slip in something negative and close with something nice and complimentary. And so, all in all I can't complain. I do love, love, love my agent. He is my most favoritest agent I have ever had. And I have had a few, but don't ask.

Also today I have had the bathroom guy (I am so sure he would not like me calling him that) here finishing up some last minute details on the bathroom. (I will post pictures of the before and after on the blog because I know you are dying to see it.) I have gone to Target to stock up on much needed groceries. Because where else in the world (other than Walmart) can you go and get some new uniform pants for your son who had the nerve of growing out of his AND several days' worth of groceries all in one place?!? Oh, the sheer convenience of it all. I have gone to the bank, the library and through the Wendy's drive through for lunch ($2.92 for lunch for my daughter and me, now that's a bargain). And that's about it.

And so, now I am sitting here blogging when I should be doing something else. But why? I need a break. I am aiming for getting at least a loaf of eggnog bread made today. And blueberry muffins made tomorrow. And pumpkin bread on Wednesday. I might wait to do the yeast bread on Friday, and involve my kids. They might think it is cool. And if they don't, well, there is always tv.
Pin It!

10 comments:

Debra said...

You are so down to earth and honest.
Debra

Allison said...

I love reading your blog, Marybeth! I hope you and the family are doing well :) Did you still want Aaron and me to watch the kids in March? I can't remember which weekend it was. Just wanted to put it on the calendar if you still needed us...

Tell everyone we say "Hi!". Talk to you soon...

Laura said...

Glad to know I am not the only one who has accomplished a whole lot of nothing off my list. There is always tomorrow. Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I'll love ya tomorrow....I have procrastination issues. Is it obvious?
Blessings - and good luck. My husband works in our publishing department at FamilyLife and I know what a rough ride it is on the author's side. It requires some tough skin.

Charlene Kidd said...

Marybeth,
Thanks for your honesty. As I read your post, I just remembered I forgot to add the flour and sugar to my friendship bread starter!!!
Charlene

Laura said...

Do not let that wonderful agent of yours discourage you from your dream of writing fiction! He will help to make you a better writer, but there is only one Gabriel Garcia Marquez! (Stein on Writing is an excellent book on the craft though!) Stay true to yourself and be encouraged! Your heart is true, and the gift of story is a very powerful gift.

Shari Braendel said...

Hi friend, pleaseeeeee do not forget I will be passing thru tomorrow, excited to eat some pumpkin bread! I will be there for lunch...look for me about 11:45am. Not kidding. If you need to cancel my arrival, please don't tell me, I'll just not see you when I knock on your door...perhaps I will play with the new puppy. And, you may love, love, love your agent, but you set a goal, goal, goal for yourself this week to write so many words a day. You are NOT off the hook with that one. Now get writing and cooking....or is it called baking? love, Shari

Amico Dio said...

Your honesty is refreshing! I am so glad that I came to your blog... it is now one of my favorites!

I hope you don't mind but I've added your link to my blog!

Have an awesome day!

MrsProverbs31 said...

At least, you make time to bake bread. I baked a banana bread for our women's Bible study snack. Yum! I rarely bake. So, I feel like I've accomplished an important task. Like you said, I don't know why I'm blogging while I should be doing something else. Reading your (Proverbs 31 ladies)blogs are like coffee for me.

Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Alyce said...

I so enjoy your blog MaryBeth. It shows who you really are, which to me, seems very down to earth, genuine and honest!
I hope you can get back on track tomorrow! I find that every time I make a list, I can NEVER follow it. Its just not possible in my household.
Blessings~Alyce

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

Why not try posting little bits of your fiction here? Start telling us your gripping story, in bits and drips that keep us wanting more. Is it a romance? I need something good to read, and I'm sure you DO have what it takes to write fiction!