Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Bread A Day... Not To Be Confused With Our Daily Bread


This week I have grandiose plans to make a bread a day, Monday through Thursday. (My kids have school off on Friday, so no plans for that day other than to try to enjoy each other.) So, here is my plan:

Monday) yeast bread (recipes makes 3 loaves)

Tuesday) eggnog bread (recipe makes just 1 loaf)

Wednesday) pumpkin bread (recipe makes 3 loaves)

Thursday) homemade blueberry muffins (will probably double the recipe)

What we don't eat for breakfast through the week, I will freeze. I *might* give some away, depending on how generous I am feeling! My goal is to freeze enough that we can have some homemade baked goods for breakfast at least once a week instead of living off dry cereal or instant grits or oatmeal. I am not a morning person, so cooking a lot first thing in the morning is out. Pulling something out of the freezer is as close as my family is going to get!

Another goal I have set for myself this week is to write 5000 words in my novel. That shapes up to 1000 words a day, M-F, or 2500 words twice in the week. This is a doable goal for me and not too lofty. If my goals are too lofty, I psyche myself out. This weekend I am sitting at 22,500 words! That is only about 1/4 of the way through, is all though. If I write 5000 words per week for 12 weeks, I will have it finished in early April and can start revising. (I am aiming for an 80,000 word book.) Right now I am just trying to get the story onto the page.

Even though I may never see this puppy published, I am just challenging myself to finish it. I am having fun-- as I told my friend Leanna Ellis (an experienced novelist), I sit down and just see what the characters are going to do next. It is very odd, and they surprise me all the time! Leanna said doing it that way (with no real plan for where you are going) is called a "pantser" meaning you are writing by the seat of your pants. If you know me, you know I am a planner through and through so to write this way has been an exercise in faith. Faith that when I put my hands to the keyboard, these characters are going to jump in and do what they are supposed to be doing. Though I know where I want them to end up (I already have the end scene in mind) I have no idea how they are going to make their way there. I have never written a novel before, so I am on a learning curve for sure.

How about you all? Any ambitious plans or goals for the week? It doesn't have to be cooking or writing! Or, how about do you all have any foods that you go on a spree and make? Would love to hear all about it!
Pin It!

12 comments:

Alyce said...

Cooking and Baking are my passions. When I got home from church today, I put some chicken in the pot and cooked it so that I can make chicken and wild rice soup later today. But..I am trying to eat better so that I can lose some weight, therefore, I have to cut back on the cooking and baking. I won't do anything in particular besides supper this week. No school for us on Friday either, and I did think about making some sugar snowflake cookies that day with the kids.
Your bread sounds so yummy..can I give you my address and you can just ship me a loaf ;-)
I am not a bread maker, but I might try once my little one goes to school.
Happy baking to you and good luck on your novel..
Blessings~Alyce

TheNormalMiddle said...

Hmmm, getting bills paid is a major accomplishment this week :)

You go girl on the writing. I actually got a bid on a "real" writing job this week...writing short descriptions for a bunch of image galleries. Oh well, it is a start?

Unknown said...

Mm, yeast bread!

I have some gigantic goals for this week. My husband returned from Belize and I was touched by some of the stories he passed along. I found out that the kids over there cannot afford paper (for school or doodling!) or toothbrushes... and one of the teachers bought them some with her own money (and with a $7 a day pay, thats a sacrifice). So, I set it in my heart to raise money to buy boxes of the stuff (and have dentists donate toothbrushes, floss, etc). I'm also contacting Walmart and other stores to contribute. If you know anyone who would be willing to donate, I'd appreciate it. Shipping will be a high cost!

Debra said...

Marybeth,
Your goal sounds wonderful about the novel.
Since your in bread week I thought i would pass this on to you.It is wonderful and my most favorite bread.
Harvest Loaf
1 3/4 cup flour
1t baking soda
2t pumpkin pie spice
1/2t salt
1cup sugar
1/2cup butter
2 eggs
3/4cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup butterscotch morsals
(this is the secret to this bread)
Bake at 350 for 55minutes makes one large loaf. I dont have a blog to write it on.
Debra Zantman

Laura said...

Get laundry finished, balance checkbook, grocery shop, exercise 4 times this week. Whew! Bet you are jealous - this is a fun filled week. Of course that doesn't include the science fair projects that have to be finished, basketball practices, and a meeting at church. Good times are ahead!

Shari Braendel said...

Hmm, let's see...do I have any foods that I go on a spree and make? Only last minute Christmas cookies! hehehe! I just sat down to pray about my week ahead and by golly, baking never even came up! I was thinking about stopping by on my way to Calvary this week so now I know I am definetely going to! Look out for a surprise visit! I'm gonna go back and look at what breads you are making on what days and come on the day of one I like! Save some for me! love ya like a sister! Shari

Shari Braendel said...

I just looked at it...It'll be Wednesday for sure....mmmm, pumpkin bread....yum yum....love, me!

cceeyore said...

Girlfriend! You typed my 2 favorite words together ... eggnog bread! I am seriously going to need that recipe! Eggnong was one this this year I did not get enough of over Christmas ... and it made me very sad!

carlyn
cceeyore@mac.com

Lisa said...

Hey girl!

We definately share a love for one of the two things you mentioned... won't say which put lets just say it is NOT the one that rhymes with the word "looking." :)

BTW -- I included some questions on my blog today, per your suggestion. Good call! :)

Lisa

Lisa said...

P.S. It helps if you preview your comments...it's "but" not "puts." I don't always make sense, but that has nothing to do with a grammatical error. :)

LW

MaryLu said...

Goals for the week? Two words: Pantry Purge!
Have got to get out all the junk from the holidays, so skinny girl can prevail.

"We Grow" Women's Ministries said...

Marybeth,
My ambition for the week is simply to survive. After taking care of a very sick child last week and missing work; said very sick child decided to share his germs with me so that I am now a sick Mommy and I am back at work trying to catch up.