Pages

Monday, September 03, 2007

Oh wa ta gu fiam


say that ten times fast and you will get the theme of this post.

First of all, I have spent most of this day on the couch coughing until my ribs ache and my head hurts. I also squeezed in as many episdoes of the Law and Order SVU marathon as I could when the children were not in the house-- which was spotty, at best. But I sort of knew what was going on for most of the episodes.

I also continued my reading of Elizabeth Foss' book Real Learning. Am gearing up for a big "back to school" week. Have decided to have a sloooow start with the way I am feeling. Am aiming for the big kickoff to be our field trip scheduled for Wednesday. I couldn't start tomorrow because I am coughing too much to communicate with any effectiveness, much less read pages and pages aloud.

My husband scurried around fixing stuff and pressure washing the house. We (don't you love how I say we, considering I have already admitted that I laid on the couch most of the day) are laboring to get this house sold! The realtor suggested we pressure wash the house, sidewalks and driveway. We also discovered a little problem with the shower leaking, which had to be fixed as well. Also, there was a door that needed to be replaced but alas, is an odd size of course that can't be bought at Lowe's. Curt also had to go to Matthews Alive fair to sit at the Matthews Playhouse booth and answer questions from passers-by. That took about 2.5 hours out of his day. We were supposed to do it together, but I felt that my coughing fits might scare people away. So I stayed home with the kids. It was a very hit or miss day for my poor, under-appreciated husband. Not that that stopped me from sending him with all the kids for Chick fil a while I languished on the couch. The dear sweet guy also brought me back some dinner!

Just for the record, when you run out of sweet tea from CFA and try to psyche yourself out by pouring your own homemade tea into the cup, it just doesn't work.

Finally, in true nerd fashion I will admit that right now on my Ipod is playing...

...dare I even admit that I actually downloaded this song and am enjoying it immensely?

You Don't Bring Me Flowers by Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand

and boy they just don't make songs like that anymore-- Barbra can flat belt out a song, ya know? And those lyrics, "But used to be's don't count anymore, they just lay on the floor til you sweep them away."

Make fun of me if you must... I deserve it. I am too tired and sick to care. When I come back to my senses, I just might remove all evidence that this post ever existed.
Pin It!

6 comments:

D said...

Oh I feel for you! Get well soon! And the song? Well...I've never had the nerve to post about my favs...but I am truly a nerd and cheesy through and through! So nice to know someone else likes that song. :=)
Our school year starts this week too. Today was just a few things and tomorrow a few more...by Wednesday we should be up and running.

Anonymous said...

I love Neil Diamond! My little Jed is coughing his lungs up too. Must be something going around. Feel better.

Liz said...

Sure hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope you get better soon! Just wanted to throw in my plug for Elizabeth Foss's book - I loved it!! I just finished it very recently! Oh and her blog is fabulous too if you haven't checked that out yet! :)

Candace
www.homeschoolblogger.com/CandaceC

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

Marybeth, I'm going to leave one little HOUSE SELLING Tip I've learned. I don't know if the Realtor told you this, but Buyers can't picture themselves buying a house if there are photos all over of the people who live there. You have to create a neutral palette- a place where buyers can envision themselves.
The problem is you live there now, and you want to make your house an expression of you, and see your wonderful children all over the place each time you see photos of them and artwork they've done. It's a bit of a dilemna- How Then Shall we Live? But you and your husband can prayerfully decide if you should take this next step.
(Not only have we moved 20 times in 23 years, but I was also a Real Estate Agent for several years, helping others to sell in a buyers market).
One thing you can do if you pack up all photos and personal artwork, etc, is to do it as though you are already moving into that dream house. Make it into a step of faith, instead of a sad thing.
OK- just an idea I had.
Let it drop like a rock if you think its bad!

Amber said...

I'm reading real learning too, and what I've read of it so far I love it!!! We just started school this week, so I'm anxious to finish it.

Have a blessed week!

God Bless,
Amber