Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2007

He's Baaack


Well, my son called just a bit ago to let me know that he and his dad were on their way home from his nine day intensive training camp for Sea Cadets, a program he is a part of. He was genuinely excited to hear my voice and I was genuinely excited to hear his. Absence does make the heart grow fonder! We talked for a few minutes about his experiences at the camp and how (his words) appreciative he was going to be when he got home. He said, "I never knew how much I took for granted. I even took for granted being able to look in a mirror!" He shared with me about getting up at 5am, the intense physical training, the lack of manners the other boys had, and his desire to be able to sleep in his own bed and take a long, hot shower.

Ah, just let me enjoy this moment for a bit....

Here is an excerpt from a letter he sent us earlier this week from camp:
"Thank you for everything you instilled in me, IT'S ALL PAYING OFF HERE! I miss you so much and I appreciate everything you have done for me."

Now, how many parents long to hear those words? I know I might have to wait a LONG time to hear them again, but at least I have them in writing... and don't think I am not tempted to frame this letter and hang it in a place where we both will see it often!
Pin It!

No comments: