Pages

Monday, July 23, 2007

Being A Good Mom


I was a good mom today. I didn't yell a lot or get too frustrated. I didn't really say anything I regret saying. I didn't get upset with any circumstances and take it out on one of my children. None of them had naps because we were too busy having fun-- and that was okay too. I didn't get bitter or spend a lot of time thinking about what I could be doing if only they were napping.

One key thing that made all this possible is that we went to our neighborhood pool. Now, with a toddler that usually just sounds like too big a nightmare to even attempt. But today my son asked (as he does most every day) if we could go to the pool and I thought, "Why not?" And it was like God might as well have tapped me on the shoulder and said, "That is a good idea. You need to take your kids to the pool." There may be a lot I still have to learn about the Christian life, but I know enough to listen to that still small voice telling me to do something! I am learning to listen and obey whenever I get that distinct impression on my heart that God is talking to me. At first I thought that perhaps God had a divine appointment for me at the pool-- like I was going to get to witness to someone or something. Now, as the kids are tucked in bed and I am reflecting on our day, I realize that I did have a divine appointment with my very own children.

I needed to get out of the house, away from the chores and projects calling out to me. I needed to jump in the water and race my daughter to see who could go the farthest without taking a breath and shoot my five year old with a water gun and hold out my arms to my toddler as she jumped into my arms over and over again. I needed to laugh with my children and be a kid with them. That is something I don't do enough. Later on we went to the library and tonight we even read books before bed instead of me just grumpily ordering them to bed. Ironically, spending time with my kids makes me want to spend more time with my kids.

I have said many times that I am a better mom when I am immersed in my children. Some would disagree with this, but this is what I have found in my own personal life.

Remember my post earlier about peace week? God must have read that and decided that today, in all His mercy, He was going to show me a different kind of peace-- one that comes from knowing you loved your children well. One that doesn't involve spending a lot of money or checking off a to do list or hiring a sitter. A peace that is unexpected, yet deeply satisfying to this mother's soul.
Pin It!

8 comments:

Dreams of a Country Girl said...

i love your blog -- i can relate to you..you are the girl next door, the girl I would bake brownies for and then you would share them with me...i think we would be friends

Anonymous said...

Marybeth,
I read your blog everyday, and stand amazed that you find the time to update it every day. I enjoyed getting to know all of the P31 girls at "She Speaks", and I appreciated you insight in "For the Write Reason." I just found out that we are getting to adopt our foster-to-adopt son, and I appreciated your reminder today to "Enjoy Him!" They are little for such a brief time.
You and your family are in my prayers!
Joanie

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this entry! I find this very true in my own life as well! Sometimes I find myself thinking...oh, when is naptime? But, when I get immersed in my children I love it and love them even more. :) I love the line where you said the divine appt. was really with your own children. Love it!!!

Love,
Candace
www.homeschoolblogger.com/CandaceC

Anonymous said...

Marybeth,
Your blog is such a blessing and encouragement to me--especially this post. There are at least three different things I want to tatoo on my brain that you said!
Thanks for sharing what God is teaching you!
Love, Jess

TheNormalMiddle said...

I do so relate! When I am more plugged in, I am a more patient mom. The time away is key (from time to time) but it should be in the minority, not the majority.

It goes by so, so, so, so fast. One day we'll have grown kids and wish they were small again so we could have a pool day, you know?

Christine said...

Wonderful post Marybeth. I have had those moments when, amidst the craziness, I simply enjoy my children and am able to let them enjoy me. Sometimes they seem too few and far between!!

Anonymous said...

Very well said! I think we need to give ourselves kudos when we feel like we've done a good job as mom. And like you said, sometimes that isn't teaching, or preaching or finishing tasks, but just playing. Sounds like a lovely day.

lifelaughterchaos said...

Wow! Thank you for your blog! I am a mom of 3 and soon to be 4 (we are in process of an adoption). There are so many days when I feel like I shouldn't be a mom at all. What am I doing with yet one more child? And why do I consider more after my 4th? It's so cool to see a family with 6 children. I always fantasize that moms with 6 kids are perfect and never raise their voice at their kids or get tired of their kids. And I felt like God was tapping me on the shoulder with your blog and showing me that everyone is human and I am a normal mom. I feel the freedom to be open to however many children God wants to place in my life. Thanks for being real!