Pages

Friday, March 07, 2014

Mr Peabody and Sherman Review


I got the chance to take my kids to see Mr Peabody and Sherman the other night-- a fun little diversion for an otherwise ordinary weeknight. Sometimes it's fun to shake things up, depart from the normal.



Which is actually what Mr Peabody and Sherman is about. I mean any time the premise of the movie is a dog raising a boy, well, you know you're in for a departure from normality.

What I loved-- and what, I expect, all parents will love about this film-- is the way the filmmakers brought history to life, showing kids how relevant and engaging history can be. I've written before about my aversion to all things historical because of one too many classrooms that involved dry readings from stiff textbooks about a time I could in no way identify with. This film helps kids see that history is filled with excitement and true characters. Marie Antoinette, Leonardo DaVinci, and a host of Greek warriors come to mind. At one point a particular time period came on the screen and my 11yo son, with a knowing smile on his face leaned over to me and whispered, "We just learned about this in school."

I also loved Ty Burrell as Mr Peabody. And I loved the little "aimed at the parents who are sitting through this film for the sake of their kids" one-liners. There were several moment when all the adults in the packed theater laughed loudly while their kids remained silent.

So this weekend if you're looking for something to do-- a little departure from your normal-- go see Mr Peabody and Sherman. Your kids will enjoy it and you, surprisingly enough, will too.



Mr. Peabody, the most accomplished dog in the world, and his mischievous boy Sherman, use their time machine - The WABAC - to go on the most outrageous adventures known to man or dog. But when Sherman takes The WABAC out for a joyride to impress his friend Penny, they accidentally rip a hole in the universe, wreaking havoc on the most important events in world history. Before they forever alter the past, present and future, Mr. Peabody must come to their rescue, ultimately facing the most daunting challenge of any era: figuring out how to be a parent. Together, the time traveling trio will make their mark on history.
Pin It!

No comments: