Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

What I'm Into In May


My friend Kim says that May is the new December, with all the frantic preparation mode of wrapping up the school year, a la the frenzy right before Christmas. I think she's right. This month was Mother's Day and my birthday month, so a big personal month for me. Nevertheless right on the heels of Mother's Day I had one of the worst weeks I've had in a long, long time. Not up for a do-over of that week, thankyouverymuch.

Other than that one week, I was into a lot of good stuff.

http://prbreakfastclub.com/2012/06/15/the-summer-week-that-was-june-11-june-15/hammock/#.U4UVorvD_IU
Source: http://bit.ly/1nt7lH0
THE GREAT OUTDOORS:
We got new deck furniture, set up a fire pit in our back yard, and I got a hammock. And by I, I mean my kids. Consequently we've been outside a lot. Being outdoors is a good thing. It's refreshing and peaceful. Unless there are mosquitoes involved. That's what Off! is for, right? And citronella candles.

AUDIO BOOK:
I listened to Rob Lowe's new book on audio, Love Life. I wrote about it here. I think both of his books are better if he reads them to you, so my recommendation is to look for them on audio. I wrote exactly one fan letter in my life and it was to him when I was 13 years old. It figures I'd love his books, and I'm happy that he's found a settled, fulfilling life. We both have.

I'm also re-listening to an old favorite of Anne Lamott's Grace, Eventually.

Source: http://bit.ly/1kdibZq
EASY EATING:
Café Rio Chicken was a family favorite this month-- a big hit that I ended up also making for another family I was taking a meal to. I served it over yellow rice with green beans. It's also good as a taco or nacho topping, especially if you have leftovers to use up. Here's the recipe:

2 lbs frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 (8 oz) bottle Zesty Italian dressing
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder

Put frozen chicken breasts in crockpot. (You don't even have to thaw them!) Mix other ingredients and pour over. Cook on low all day, shred with two forks just before serving. Yes, it really is that easy and my husband pronounced it one of the best chicken dishes I'd ever made.

FRESH FRUITS: I've been getting really good strawberries from our local Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. So of course I need to make this cobbler and this pie.

MUSIC: A concert from this band. Still reveling in the whirlwind birthday trip from my husband that got us both a night away and some really great music to boot. You may not can see them live, but you can go download their new album. I'm still wearing out song number 3. "Shame doesn't become you" is perhaps the best first line of a song ever.

POSTS THAT GOT ME THINKING:

"That first draft should bring with it all the freedom in the world," the best writing advice Jill McCorkle ever received.

This one on introverts is spot on. Take it from an introvert.

I preached to myself via this old devotion I had to google and dig to find. I need to get a "do the work" tattoo.

I have uttered the words, "I could never," myself many times, then found myself facing exactly what I thought I never could. I especially loved this quote: "No matter how I see myself and my limitations, God sees who he created me to be. All my life, I’ll be discovering who that is." Exactly.

I'm working on a post using this template. Look for it soon.

And this. Because it's so true. Bring on the summerrrrr!!!

This post is part of Leigh Kramer's "What I'm Into" link up:



Pin It!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss your devotions so much, but sure am glad you still blog.

Leigh Kramer said...

I've been wanting to read Rob Lowe's books so this is a good reminder. That chicken recipe sounds amazing!

Thanks for linking up with What I'm Into!