Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

Intentional Mondays


Quote: "I also believe in God because I have to, because I need someone to pray to with my rabid, sweeping mix of fear and love. I have to believe in something else, I think, or I'd lose my mind. I think I would blow a fuse in my brain every night if I couldn't entrust to God for safekeeping while I sleep. It's hard enough for me to sleep, and I believe very desperately in God. I'd never sleep a wink if I didn't." Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines

Write Every Day... Well that didn't happen this past week. Mostly because this past week was the suckiest of weeks I've had in a long, long time. Our dryer broke. I had some writing setbacks. My check engine light was on in my car, threatening and ominous and nagging. My husband was gone all week. And I had that line from "Counting Stars" by One Republic playing over and over in my mind, "Make that money, watch it burn." It was Not A Good Week and the creative juices were not flowing.

My One Word... AFFIRM. Wasn't feeling very affirmed  this week. I'm sure I had moments but they were fleeting and I wasn't really paying attention anyway. (See above)

Listening To: I need some new songs on my iPod. Songs that inspire me to run harder, faster, longer.

Sharing Stories... Every so often I re-read the Stephen King novella, The Body because it's just so stinking good. This is one of those weeks. Am also reading a forthcoming novel to consider for She Reads and it is quite engaging. Am still working my way through The Artist's Way and trying to be faithful with my morning pages. Last week I was hit or miss because many mornings I simply had nothing to say. I hate when words fail me.

In The Kitchen... Loaded beef nachos tonight, and that's as far as I've gotten. If you'd like to make loaded beef nachos, simply get a package of beef tips (mine was just over two pounds), put it into your crockpot, add two cans of Ro-Tel and a package of  taco seasoning and cook all day on low. Just before serving, shred the meat with two forks and serve with tortilla chips, shredded lettuce, sliced black olives, cubed avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, some really good salsa, and anything else that strikes your fancy. This is always a crowd pleaser. And it's just so easy.

Plans... To have a much better week this week than last. To get some writing done. To read instead of watch tv. To run and eat better and not drink wine at night. To accomplish All The Things. To not feel sorry for myself as much as I did last week. To be kinder. To sit outside and breathe deeply and listen to the birds sing. To notice.

Loveliness... We got new deck furniture and I am loving sitting outside and writing during the day, or hanging out there at night with candles lit and sip a glass of wine with my husband. We've decided it's our new date night spot. With the money we save not going out to restaurants, over time we figure the furniture will pay for itself.

Photo of the week:
Mother's Day pic-- the six of them were all in one place and willing to pose for a pic!
I treasure photos like this one. Even on the bad weeks.
Pin It!

4 comments:

Sheri Zeck said...

I'm sorry you had a tough week, but can I be totally honest here? You made me feel just a tad bit better about the "sucky" week I recently had! Misery loves company? Whatever it is, here's to a new week and a fresh start!

amy said...

oh no - I hate craptastic weeks...dryer - did you have it fixed or buy a new one - car - did you get it serviced? what was up? I have the most incredible list of go to guys if you need it!!! My car guys aren't too far from you.... :-) hang in there and I hope that the craptastic week is replaced with a better one!!!

Carol Baldwin said...

Enjoyed your post. We all have weeks like that!

Marybeth Whalen said...

Sheri, thanks and I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes it's good to know we're not the only ones who go through stuff. Somehow it's easier just knowing we're in this together. And Amy we had to buy a new one-- the part that we would've needed to fix the old one was on backorder til THE END OF JUNE!! No way we could wait on that. And Carol, yep we do. They are NO FUN AT ALL.