Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Muppets Most Wanted, A Review


Last Saturday I got to take my 8yo daughter to the new Muppet movie. It has to be said, I love the Muppets because they bring back memories of being a kid, laying on my stomach in front of our big console television with my chin propped in my hands, my brother beside me, singing along to "It's time to play the music, it's time to light the lights," as an assortment of creatures paraded across the screen. I loved Beaker and the Swedish Chef, the grumpy old men, the celebrity guest stars, and Miss Piggy's relentless pursuit of Kermit.



Well they're all back in this movie. The Muppets of our childhood are now available to our children. It's smart if you think about it. And an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours with your kids. They like it. And you don't hate it. Believe me, I've done other things in the name of entertaining my kids that I flat out did not enjoy.

One of the things I appreciated most about the movie is the stream of jokes directed at the adults. There were many times I laughed as my daughter looked over like "What's funny?" And of course I loved Ty Burrell as the finicky, refined French detective. (They get in some good digs about the Europeans. Truly funny.)

The other thing I really enjoyed about the movie is the series of cameos from celebrities. They just keep coming in this movie, and in some very interesting ways. It's worth the price of admission just to watch Ray Liotta (Shoeless Joe, anyone? Goodfellas?) dance and sing as a prisoner in a Siberian Gulag. Tina Fey is great, of course. And just wait til you see who that is inside the porta-jon (at least I think that's what it was). Maybe it was supposed to be some form of portable solitary confinement? See for yourself and decide.



My daughter said to tell you that this one is better than the other one.(And she loved the other one. I can't tell you how many times we sat and watched the video for "Am I A Man or a Muppet?" after we saw that movie.) She has spent this week quoting little lines and asking if I remember certain scenes. I'm sure this is good for her brain development somehow. It has to be.

For those of us who love a little jolt of nostalgia, and who have kids who enjoy a fun little outing with mom or dad (or both), The Muppets Most Wanted is not a bad way to spend some time. And I can't say that for every kid movie I've ever sat through.
Pin It!

No comments: