Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Come Monday



So my kids are in school now. If you follow me on Twitter, or check the feed here in the sidebar, you saw I tweeted a pic of them all ready for their first day. I was not ready. I wanted more summer, lamenting how fast it went by. But alas, there is no slowing time and no denying that the date on the calendar says it's time to go back. Back to routine. Back to schedules. Back to outside demands intruding on my desire to do nothing.

In other words, back to reality. I guess that's why I love summer so much. It's a bit of suspended reality. That's where fiction writers like to live anyway.

But before I go (not so) gently into that good night, I'm staging one last siege on summer. My oldest daughter (who is going to community college this year and therefore still at home) and I are going to our pool today on this last weekday it is open. We are spending several hours getting our tans on. Reading books. Listening to the country music they blast over the loudspeakers. Talking about everything and nothing. Debating whether they had mirrors where that girl bought her bathing suit. Because surely they must not have or she would've seen how very little that suit covers.

Come Monday I'm making myself get back on track. I've got my to-do list already started. I've got a new routine to get into. One that involves getting up and getting going. One that involves taking care of those edits that just showed up in my inbox, writing those blog posts I need to write, returning those emails I need to return, tackling those projects I promised I'd get to "after the kids were in school."

Come Monday I'll embrace the reality that is upon me, and make the best of it. But not today. Today I'm going to wring out the last drop of summer. Care to join me?

Pin It!

3 comments:

BethA said...

Your day sounds blissful! Wish I could join you. We are on day three of my daughter's sophomore year of high school. I wasn't ready at all for summer to be over!

PS -- I LOVED The Guest Book! Posted a review on Amazon.

Anonymous said...

"Talking about everything and nothing. Debating whether they had mirrors where that girl bought her bathing suit. Because surely they must not have or she would've seen how very little that suit covers."

The above comment makes me sad. A variation of it (tiny bathing suit, tight dress, low neckline shirt, tight pants, etc.) was what so many of the older Christian women in my church, growing up, would snicker about. They felt better, but it did nothing to reinforce female bonds. It was yet another way to make another woman feel a little less about herself.

Hopefully this has not ever been said about your daughters!

Caroline

Pam said...

I'm with you, Marybeth! Come Monday . . . .