Pages

Friday, May 04, 2012

The Avengers


On the way over to the theater my husband smiles and I ask him why. He says, "Sometimes I just can't believe that my wife likes superhero movies."

He was only a little wrong. I love superhero movies. Always have. I blame the old Batman show (Pow! Bam!) and the Spiderman segment on The Electric Company. And don't forget the weekly Saturday morning dose of The Justice League (complete with The Wonder Twins). It's rare for me to miss a superhero movie.

So when I heard about The Avengers-- which has five superheroes instead of just one-- I knew I had to see it. I was super excited to get the chance to see it early, so that I could share my thoughts on the movie with you here.

So let me tell you it was entertaining, start to finish. It's got a really good bad guy. And a few battle scenes that just leave you scratching your head over how real they looked. And Robert Downey Jr of course tends to steal the show because he's, well, Tony Stark, and that's what he does. But I have to say that Mark Ruffalo does a great job at playing the misunderstood and misinterpreted Hulk just trying to quietly wander the earth alone. All in all, it's just a fun movie.

If you are like me and haven't seen all the movies that feed into this one, we hadn't seen them all and we were able to follow along fine. They do a good job of giving you enough backstory to follow.

And if you are wondering about taking your kids to see it, I will say we are letting our sons go (ages 19, 15, and 10). There is some language. There is also violence but no blood. So make your decisions accordingly. We went with the mindset that if it wasn't appropriate we would not let our kids see it, and we were pleasantly surprised that we were able to tell our kids yes. (Of course they were thrilled.)

Hope this helps those of you who are thinking about seeing the movie. Here's the synopsis:


Marvel Studios presents “Marvel’s The Avengers”—the Super Hero team up of a lifetime, featuring iconic Marvel Super Heroes Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.

Starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner and Tom Hiddleston, with Stellan SkarsgĂ„rd and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, directed by Joss Whedon, from a story by Zak Penn and Joss Whedon with screenplay by Joss Whedon, “Marvel’s The Avengers” is based on the ever-popular Marvel comic book series “The Avengers,” first published in 1963 and a comics institution ever since. Prepare yourself for an exciting event movie, packed with action and spectacular special effects, when “Marvel’s The Avengers” assemble in summer 2012.


Tomorrow I will share some Avengers fun facts!
Pin It!

3 comments:

Pam said...

Your mentions of The Electric Company and the Saturday morning Wonder Twins(oh, how I remember these lines from both of these, "HEY YOU GUYS!" and "Wonder Twin power, Activate!") made me smile this morning. Glad you liked the Avengers!

Jolee Beamer said...

My hubby loves that I love superhero movies too! My favorite line of the movie was Cap saying, "There's only one God; and I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that", refering to Thor & Loki. We laughed a lot through the whole movie. Avengers...Assemble!

Marybeth Whalen said...

Jolee, that was my favorite line too! Curt and I were so surprised they allowed that strong statement that there is only one God. Loved it!