Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Psalms For Moms


Psalm 101:8
"Every morning I will put to silence all the wicked in the land..."

Every morning. (Before I start my day-- before I let all the voices start talking inside and outside of my head)

I will. (I have to make the effort.)

Put to silence. (Stop the noise.)

All the wicked. (Now this might be a stretch because when you think "wicked" you might think evil or bad or... whatever connotation that word means to you. But bear with me. There's some wicked stuff going on inside our heads. Stuff we tell ourselves. Words we replay in our heads that other people have said to us. Bad things that have happened to us or people we love.)

In the land. (Within my sphere of influence, my community, my workplace, my home. Everybody's land looks different.)

King David may have meant something different when he wrote this verse. He may have meant that he was going to arrest or kill the wicked in Israel. But I think this verse can still apply to those of us who are not kings. Every morning we can put to silence all the wicked in the land-- we can make the effort to seek truth and to live by it, to silence all the lies we tell ourselves, and the lies we've been told by others. It takes effort. It takes intention. It takes awareness. It takes faith. It takes creating silence, and then letting God fill that silence with His voice.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Zibilee said...

I find that when I make a conscious effort to spend more time with God, he spends more time with me, and things just run a lot smoother! It's often hard to put the wickedness out of my head at times, and I never really seem to realize just how much those negative thoughts affect me over the course of my day. It's so easy to make note of it and say that you are going to change it, but so hard to do. I am glad that I am not alone in my struggle to be more peaceful and godly.