Pages

Friday, December 09, 2011

Fiction Friday: Pick Yourself! A Guest Post


A few Fridays ago, we heard from Mary DeMuth about dreams that might look dead but are just nesting. Well this Friday, she's back with more wisdom! This time the wisdom she's sharing is about no longer being a wallflower at a junior high dance. Who among us has good, positive memories of junior high dances? Anyone? Anyone? I do not. Ok, except for the music which was uh-mazing. But we're not here to talk about my love of 80's music.

I remember reading a blog post by Seth Godin that talked about picking yourself instead of waiting to be picked. He was referring to the world of ebooks and self publishing. As I read Mary's post, I thought of how both of them are essentially saying the same thing. Maybe your answer is not ebooks or self publishing. Maybe your answer is to get off the wall and join the dance at all-- write that first scene, tell that trusted friend that you're going to finally write that novel and ask him or her to hold you accountable. The point isn't what your next step is-- because that looks different for everyone. The point is to simply join the dance. Read on...


I remember the buzz in my stomach, that insistence that everything inside of me screamed nerves. I entered the cafeteria feeling the weight of my loneliness. I scanned the streamered room, searching for a friendly face, hoping I'd spy a friend. I did.

We stood together, alone with our thoughts, as the music blared from a DJ. We talked in nervous jitters. I scanned the room, wondering. Would I be asked to dance?

The answer would come two awkward hours later.

No.

I don't know about you, but I think hell is like junior high dances for wallflowers. Isolating. Humiliating. Awkward.

Problem is, I've carried the experience with me into adulthood. How often I feel like I'm lining the wall of life, waiting for someone or some opportunity to find me, grab my hand, and pull me out into life's limelight.

It's only been recently that I realized that life is not meant to be a junior high dance. We aren't suppose to live sidelined, afraid, insecure. We are encouraged to live uncaged, to soar, to engage in life. To do so means risk.

In high school, I abandoned the silly rules of dances. I took a risk. Instead of waiting, my friends and I chose to venture to the middle of the dance floor and dance like crazy people. The contrast between the junior high dance and the high school dance is the contrast to the life God's wants us to live today. To be unafraid. To be innovative and spunky and fun and alive. To grab the hands of our friends, shun the so-called rules, and engage in life to the fullest.

That's what I want for me.

That's what I want for you.

I want you to dance.

You can find more of Mary's wisdom at http://www.marydemuth.com/
Pin It!

1 comment:

Mary DeMuth said...

Marybeth, thanks for featuring my words here. It's sweet and humbling. And you rock the house! (And I can totally picture you dancing in the 80s with 80s hair!)