Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thursday Thought: Perfect Is Paralyzing (But Good Is Great)





When I read this post, it made me think about the subject matter of She Makes It Look Easy (affectionately known around these parts as SMILE). I wanted to direct you guys to it because I think you'll agree with the conclusions writer Camille Noe Pagan comes to. I loved what she said about comparing herself to another writer who takes five years to write a book. I write fast, like she does, and sometimes beat myself up for not being more of an artiste. But we moms have to write fast-- if you're anything like me you do everything fast, zipping around your house like the Tasmanian Devil. But hey, at least it gets done... right?

Perfection is paralyzing-- but good is great. I'd rather be a Tasmanian Devil... and do a good job, only leaving little messes in my wake. Messes can, after all, be cleaned up.



Don't forget to check out Camille Noe Pagan's new book, The Art of Forgetting, which came out June 9th, while you're over at her site! Don't you just love that cover??
Pin It!

3 comments:

She Will Move Mountains said...

I have the opposite problem, Marybeth! I take literally forever to get just the right words penned down. I've recently decided to start writing a novel, that ideas for which have been floating around in my head for a while now. I feel discouraged though at times because I don't write fast enough and I struggle with wanting every word to be perfection itself. Perfection is most definitely my enemy. Maybe perfection is not what I should striving for in my writing, maybe writing something that is good and has the potential to be great in the eyes of others would be a better thing to aim for!?

Stephanie Lynn Burley said...

I just found your blog, and have already fallen in love with your style! Inwardly, I have struggled with the frustrations of comparison, often saying to my husband, "I wish I was really great at one thing rather than just 'pretty good' at about a thousand!" But I'm finding that God is equipping me for His purposes...and His plan in my life includes me being able to do a thousand things "pretty well." I have found contentment through acceptance of that fact!

Camille Noe Pagán said...

Marybeth, thanks so much for mentioning my blog! I've just discovered yours and I'm hooked; I can't wait to read more.

All my best,
Camille