Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

In A Food Mood


If you dropped by after reading today's devotion, welcome! I am glad to have you! On Mondays, I run a regular feature called "In A Food Mood." The goal of this weekly post is to inspire you to get in the kitchen and whip up something yummy for your family, thus putting you IN A FOOD MOOD. I can honestly say, there are times I am NOT in a food mood. I don't feel like meal planning, I don't feel like grocery shopping, and I don't feel like cooking. But it's part of my job description, so I have to get over it. I've found that visiting blogs and websites by people who are excited about cooking can get me back in a food mood and put new wind in my kitchen sails.

So, with all of that said, I will share a recipe that inspired me this past week when I received it in my inbox courtesy of The Cottage Journal. We love lime anything at our house, so I am sure this cake will be a hit. If you'd like to receive this e-newsletter, you can subscribe by visiting this link.



LIME POUND CAKE WITH STRAWBERRY SAUCE
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake (about 12 servings)

2 (16-ounce) boxes pound cake mix, Betty Crocker®
1 1⁄3 cups water or whole milk
1⁄2 cup butter, softened
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon lime juice
Strawberry Sauce (recipe follows)
Garnish: lime wedges, fresh strawberries

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a tube pan with nonstick baking spray with flour.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, butter, and eggs; beat at low speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium, and beat for 2 minutes, stopping to scrape bowl as needed (batter will be thick). Stir in lime zest and lime juice. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with Strawberry Sauce. Garnish with lime wedges and strawberries, if desired.


STRAWBERRY SAUCE
Makes about 1 cup

1 1⁄2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled, Driscoll’s®
1⁄3 cup sugar, Domino®
2 teaspoons lime zest

1. In the work bowl of a food processor, combine strawberries, sugar, and lime zest; process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for your devotional today. I have a 2-yr old son and his father hasn't been around very much. He has already made promises to him that he hasn't kept and I'm so torn. I love my sons father but he doesn't want me. I don't want my son to grow up without him around, but at the same time, no one can make someone else be involved if they choose not to be. Your devotion was encouraging to me, as a mother, to know that even if he doesn't want us, our heavenly Father does want us and that my son doesn't have to be alone. If you could pray for my son and myself while we deal with this hard time, I would truly be grateful. Thank you, again.

Jane said...

Marybeth,
I'm reminded of when my children were young. I would make a weekly menu and keep it on a 3x5 card. I had a friend who did the same.
We'd often swap cards and then have instant menus for the week without the brain work! We'd plan our shopping day together so as to make the job all the more enjoyable. Not only did we feel on top of the game, we shared many recipes and blessed our families with new meals.

Ondiswa said...

thx for the devotion - yes we r in the same boat but fortunately for me too i found God after years of lonlyness. im writing a book for women and i have also touched this subject. do you mind being quoted?