Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Fiction Friday


If you are joining me today after reading "But Will It Make Me Happy?" welcome! Today is Friday and on Fridays I post a "Fiction Friday" post, zeroing in on the process of writing fiction. I share tips, post interviews with other novelists, and sometimes include links to posts that I found helpful. If you're fascinated by fiction or are a writer yourself, I hope you'll come back each Friday!

And now, here's my Fiction Friday post for today...

I recently finished the first draft of my third novel (coming in fall of 12!) and what a moment that was. I love writing but I love having written even more. It's like working out or seeing a movie or reading a book. When you look at it again, you think, "That was good or worthwhile or whatever... but I wouldn't want to do it again!" And that's what I think when I finish a novel. I think "Wow, that was fun and I loved getting to tell that story. But I am also very glad I made it all the way through to the end."

Now there's more work to do-- don't get me wrong. I have no idea how many edits this thing will go through between now and Sept. when it is due. But at least the story began at "Once Upon A Time" and made it all the way through to "And They Lived Happily Ever After."

I loved this post by Juliette Fay, author of Shelter Me and Deep Down True about penning "The End" of her third novel. Read on...
Pin It!

5 comments:

Cheri Bunch said...

Loved your devotion today, Marybeth! My boys had some begging blue eyes that would make me want to stop in my tracks and shake my head "yes", back in the day! What a challenge!

I am really looking forward to your new novel! Loved the last one, and the new one looks like a bestseller!!!

Great post!!! Always love to stop by for a visit. I always feel like I am sitting on the porch with you, sipping lemonade, when I stop by! Love that!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Cheri
ps. I will be at She Speaks in a few weeks. Getting excited! Hope to see you there!

Kristi Butler said...

Great devotion today, Marybeth!!
Blessings!

Savannahhutchinson1208 said...

Just wanted to say great devo today! It always amazing me how God uses my children to speak to my heart also. I really needed to read that devo today thank you for being obedient and sharing with all of us! God Bless!

Momof4 said...

Hi Marybeth-finally received She Makes It Look Easy in the mail today. Looking forward to diving in!!! I read The Mailbox and enjoyed it!

would love you to visit my blog

www.breakformom.com

Blessings,
Sharon

Juliette Fay said...

Thanks for posting about my blog entry "The End." And congratulations on getting to the end of your latest! It's such a satisfaction, writing those final words ... even though they might change in revision. :)