Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

In A Food Mood: Breakfast For Dinner



Last week we had a breakfast casserole for dinner and my kids loved it. I don't know why I hadn't thought of doing this before, but I know I will do it more often. While I've made eggs and bacon for dinner before, I've never made a whole casserole.

One thing I liked about doing the casserole is I could assemble it in the morning (when I have more energy), put it in the fridge, then just pop it into the oven an hour before we needed to eat. Add some fresh cut up fruit from the produce section and voila! Dinner is served!

So if this sounds good to you, I am going to share these two casserole ideas. I hope they inspire you to get in a food mood!

Crescent Roll Casserole

1 lb pork sausage, browned and drained
1 (8 oz) pkg crescent rolls
10 eggs, beaten
2 cups mixed shredded cheeses
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp, Italian seasoning

Grease 9X13 pan. Heat oven to 350. Pinch seams together and spread crescent rolls in pan. Bake for 7 minutes. Sprinkle cooked sausage on rolls. Mix eggs, cheese, milk and seasoning and pour over sausage and rolls. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, reduce to 325 and bake for 20 minutes.

Ham and Hashbrown Casserole

8 frozen shredded hashbrown patties (I used Ore-Ida frozen hashbrowns and just sprinkled them liberally on the bottom of the pan)
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb. cooked ham, cubed (I got this at the deli, asked for thick sliced and diced it when I got home)
7 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt

Arrange hashbrown patties in a single layer in a greased 9X13 baking pan. Sprinkle with cheese and ham, set aside. Blend together eggs, milk, mustard and salt in a bowl with a whisk. Pour over ham. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for one hour. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Pin It!

11 comments:

Zibilee said...

I also think my family would love this idea, and I think I am going to try it! Thanks, Marybeth!

Rachel Olsen said...

Good timing. Just yesterday Alaina asked me to figure out how to make a breakfast casserole she ate at youth group with hashbrows, onions, cheese and ham in it. Volia, your post today.

This month I'm making a lot of breakfast for dinner in the form of fritattas - see my blog for details if interested.

Pam said...

Between you and LeAnn Rice you're keeping my table graced with lots of yumminess! I'm with Rachel and read this post at just the right time. I was in the mood for some breakfast for dinner and your Ham and Hashbrown Casserole was the perfect solution. And quite yummy I might add! My family loved it! Thanks for sharing : )

Stacy N said...

We have "breakfast for dinner" every Monday and I've been looking for some new recipes. These both sound yummy, we'll definitely try them! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I am making this right now for my husband for Father's day! Really simple to put together, can't wait until it gets done!

The only thing I changed was added minced onion and a little salt and pepper to the sausage as it cooked. I will add mushrooms and crumbled bacon the next time I make it (yes there will be a next time) I just didn't have any on hand today! ;)

nadc said...

Can Egg Whites be substituted for the whole eggs in your breakfast casserole??

Anonymous said...

I didn't have ham slices, so I used some pulled pork that was left over from the night before and added som cream of mushroom soup and it was great! Keep sending those recipes out heir a time saver.

Unknown said...

love these recipes . especially the ham and hashbrown .. I do that on Holiday mornings . with some fresh fruit salad ... and cinnamon rolls you have a crowd pleaser without much effort . the crescent roll one is great for dinner but I served it at Easter Sunday Brunch before and its a hit.... great way to entertain at brunch wihtout the hassles of being stuck in the kitchen .these make Holidays fun for the cook/host

joanofark06 said...

On That Breakfast Casserole, do you bake the cresants first, and then add the rest of it?

Anonymous said...

LOVED THIS CRESCENT RECIPE! I substituted chopped ham instead of sausage, added chopped bell peppers (green yellow red orange), mushrooms & garlic. Then added chopped chives to the egg mixture. YUMMY and colorful. I always buy peppers & onions when on sale then chop them up and freeze them in a ziplock. Then I have them ready when I want to add them to a recipe.

Unknown said...

I love your recipes but I am single and your recipes are so large, how can I reduce them to serve maybe 2 when I invite my sister over.