After I talked about it, my friend Rachel Olsen, who was there, shared with me that this concept was begun by her pastor Mike Ashcraft six years ago. There is even a website called www.myoneword.org. I was excited to find out there are resources available to us. If you are choosing a word for this year, this site is worth visiting.
So today I thought I would share ten ideas for words you might want to choose. These are words I've read about other people choosing. I think they will get your brain going and hopefully inspire you to choose a word of your own. If you'd like to, you can comment and share what your word is.
1. JOY: This is my word for the year. I chose it because it is something that keeps coming up with me-- choosing joy, or finding it, in all circumstances. I don't naturally do that, but I want to. When a coordinator for an event I did several weeks ago sent me a handmade pewter ornament with the word JOY on it at the very same time I was praying about what word would be the right one, I knew this was the word for me! Instead of hanging the ornament on my tree, it is now hanging in my kitchen window, where I can see a reminder every day.
2. PAUSE: Maybe you need to slow down and savor this life of yours. Choosing pause would be a good reminder to do just that.
3. BELIEVE: Do you need to believe God's promises even as you journey through a dark time? Then believe might be the word for you. You could even read a book like Beth Moore's Believing God to kick off the year and inspire you to believe fully.
4. IMPERFECT: Do you struggle with perfectionism? Then maybe you need to view everything this year with this word as your focus. Maybe you need to remember that it's ok to be imperfect and that God doesn't expect perfection out of you-- He loves you even when you mess up... and He knows you will. It is in your imperfect state that His perfection shines.
5. CONSISTENT: This is my husband's word for the year. I think he should be consistent in giving me whatever I want and attending to my every whim but somehow I don't think that's what he had in mind.
6. STORY: This is a friend of mine's word for the year and I had word envy after I heard it. Oh well, there's always next year! If you've been thinking of living a better story this year (read A Million Miles In A Thousand Years to be inspired in this department) then this might be the word for you. If music is more your thing, then maybe your word could be SONG.
7. ACTION: Do you desire to be a woman of action? Then this might be the word for you.
8. SIMPLIFY: Does clutter dominate your life-- household clutter, commitment clutter, etc? Simplify might be what God is speaking to your heart. Maybe He wants to help you clean house-- physically and emotionally-- this year and discover the freedom and peace that comes with simplifying your life.
9. SURRENDER: Maybe God's been speaking to you about surrendering your life to Him-- letting go of the control you crave. Maybe you need to surrender in all areas-- your marriage, your parenting, your home, your heart. If that's true of you, surrender will define this coming year for you.
10. THRIVE. This is a friend of mine's word for the year. She said she's been living life on autopilot too long and she wants to stop. She wants to live beyond surviving and thrive instead. I loved this.
And finally, if you want to get a reminder for what your year's theme is, you can visit this website and have it put on a necklace! Love this!!
What will your word be for this year? Feel free to comment and share it if you know what it is. And remember, your word for the year isn't something you have to have figured out by a certain deadline-- it's something you can take time to discover, listening to the themes that keep cropping up in your life, paying attention to what God wants to say to you about who you are, and who He is leading you to be.