Top Ten Things I Don't Like People To Touch In My House:
(At the risk of revealing the depths of my own selfishness, I am including a list here of the things I do not like people in my house to mess with. I am pretty willing to share. Just not these things.)
1. My tape. When I go to wrap a present or tape up a recipe that's ripped, or just need tape for something, I like it to be there-- not off in some child's room where it's been left after a craft project. Alas, that's more often where it's found.
2. My kitchen scissors. Don't touch my kitchen scissors. Do not carry them out of the kitchen to cut something somewhere else and leave them there. Do not attempt to cut heavy guage wire and break them. Do not move them to some other place in the kitchen. When I reach for them, they need to be where I put them.
3. My special lighter for lighting candles. Don't use it to light the charcoal grill and leave it outside. Don't play with it. Just leave it alone. Again, when I go to light candles, I like to put my hands right on it without scurrying around and trying to find a stray pack of matches because I don't know where the lighter is and people are due to arrive and I can't find the lighter to light the candles and candles always say "welcome" and... you get the picture. Don't touch my lighter.
4. My running socks. Do not borrow these socks. Do not accidentally put them in the wrong pile so they end up in the black hole of one of my children's drawers. When I go running I need these socks. No other socks will do.
5. My diet food. I have several things I keep on hand to eat. It's the stuff I should be eating-- almonds, certain fruits, etc. You can have everything else in the house so why is it you want the precious few things I can eat? This boggles the mind. I might hide things in my room just so they don't get eaten by the vultures (aka, my children). Not that they don't know exactly where I hide such things and snicker at my pathetic attempts to horde food. "Why don't you put it in your secret hiding place, mom?" they say. Then they laugh. Whoever said children are born innocent has not spent time around them.
6. My special drinks. These include my special teas, my diet caffeine free Coke, and my lite lemonade. Don't drink these things. Again, you can have anything else in the fridge so why is it these things are your favorite?
7. My Sharpies. First of all I just don't like the thought of permanent markers loose in the house. I prefer them corralled where I can keep an eye on them. Second, when I need to mark people's cups when we have small group or label something I just want to be able to put my hands on them and not have to conduct a search and rescue mission.
8. My special pens. I have some favorites that I prefer not to get mixed in with the regular pens. These pens write just the way I like. I don't want anyone else to use them lest they run the ink out or mess up the point.
9. My razors. I do not like anyone else to use my razors. Otherwise I can't get a good read on how sharp they are. And plus just.... ewww.
10. My car settings. Don't mess with my mirrors, my steering wheel, my seat adjustment, or my radio stations that I have programmed. When I get in I do not want to have to mess with them before I can get going. I am usually running late and do not have that kind of time.
Ok, so that's the stuff I don't like people to mess with. What's your list look like? Oh come on... you know you have one. And if you are truly a sweet generous person who does not care about such things... I hope you will still like me. And pray for me. Living with 7 other people you can probably imagine very few of these things don't get messed with. It's a test of my patience and whether or not I am truly dying to self! It's a work in progress...