Pages

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Get In The Picture



For much of my children's early life I am missing in pictures. I was always either taking the picture, or purposely hiding from the camera. But I am learning to get in the picture, to hand the camera off to someone standing nearby (even one of my children) and ask them to snap a photo. Me without makeup. Me with a funny hat. Me with an expression other than a picture perfect smile. Me, just as I am.

When they look back I want my kids to remember me as a mom who was in the picture. I don't want to be so riddled with insecurities about the way I look that I hide. I don't want to get so caught up in getting the perfect shots that I forget to step out from behind the camera.

On Saturday morning that included braving the bitter cold and ice to head outside with my family. Yeah I had to wrap a scarf around my head because I didn't own a hat and yeah my hands were freezing because I don't own any gloves. But that didn't keep me inside. When I was younger, it would have. Instead I grabbed my camera and, instead of watching from the warm, dry window, I got in the picture. I took some shots and I let some shots get taken of me-- scarf around my head, no makeup, and all.

The older I get, the more I am learning about the way I want to live my life. I want to get in the picture in a lot of ways and be content to sit on the sidelines. I don't want to miss the action and I want to be able to remember it long after the action is over.
Pin It!

9 comments:

Momto3Boys said...

Your sentence at the end of your post struck me..."The older I get, the more I am learning about the way I want to live my life." Now that I'm close to 40, the life I want seems more clear and concise. I'm not sure why it had to take so long, but I'm thankful for the feeling of peace it brings. Thanks for your words...they always encourage

Anonymous said...

What a fitting post for me today. I am new to your blog. I just read an article you wrote "Least Likely" in Above Rubies a while back. I, too, am missing from almost all the pictures in our scrapbooks! You have encouraged me to "get in the picture". I am overweight and have avoided being photographed for many years now! What a shame for my children! Thank you for the insight!

Cindy said...

I'm facing a rapidly emptying nest so the life I want to live is being redefined and I'm not sure yet how it will look.

Terri said...

I have talked about this a couple times on my blog in posts called, "Where's Mom?" (part 1 & 2). I like your perspective on being "in the picture" and "not on the sidelines". It is amazing, really, how many moms don't let their picture get taken. Great post! Blessings!

Heather said...

WOW!!! My daughter just got those new nintendo dsi thingies for her birthday. Well; with it she can take pictures...and she takes a lot of them. I am so happy I read this posting of yours this morning. Just last night I asked her to please not take any pictures of me if I'm not ready. How SILLY do I feel right now with that request? Looking at the big picture I look back at last night and see a sweet bright eyed 10 year old little girl interested in having fun with her Mommy. I am so blessed- and I so want to be in the picture! Thank you for this post. :)

Malissa P. said...

Oh my gosh yes! When I turned 40..suddenNcaring about what I thought I should be for others or how I should look for others. I missed out. I have few pictures of me with my kids or me at events. Sadly I looked better then than I do now. lol I was younger and thinner...but at the time I thought I was fat and less than picture perfect. NOW...I get 'in the picture' and I enjoy myself. I don't however always look at the end result! lol We are who we are. We are who and what the Almighty has created us to be! So good for you! Let's enjoy this life, let's enjoy our families. Let's leave a legacy!
Blessings

Kelly said...

Do you still have your pretty red scarf I knitted that you won last year on my blog?! you can wrap up cozy in that too in the icy weather...
love the picture!

Lisa said...

Hi Mary Beth,

Been a while since I've been by, but today you were on my mind! Hope you are well!

Yes, I agree about the pictures, and suddenly realizing this truth. In an effort to be in our family's history I even order a pic of me ill with the flu this past Christmas to put in the album. It is party of our family memories -- and I've realized it is not up to me to cut out what I don't like, in looks or otherwise.

By the way, you look as beautiful as ever in the pic you shared!

Blessings, extravagantly,
eLisa

tchrmom said...

Thanks for reminding me that my INTENTION and FOCUS on being APART OF my kids' lives is more important than my insecurities!!! (I'm a mom who is missing from home videos too!)